09 | The Other Table

"It might not be the right time,
I might not be the right one.
But there's something about us I want to say,
Cause there's something between us anyway."

"YOU MADE HIM do what?" Emily exclaimed loudly, looking as if she was about to have a heart attack. The two of us were currently sitting on one of the benches behind the Grand Library, since it was free period. We decided to use the time to study, but I was afraid that it wasn't possible now.

"It was the least he could do after bailing on me," I protested, jutting my chin out stubbornly. It was just a meal after all, I didn't see what the big deal was!

Emily shook her head, sighing loudly, "You are so much trouble!"

"Of course I am, that's why you love me!" I retorted, fluttering my eyelashes dramatically and shooting her a sly smile.

"You keep this up and I swear, I'm going to die prematurely," she grumbled, before looking up at the sky dramatically. "Breaking news, Emily Park has died! Cause of death: heart failure after one too many scares from her best friend."

"Oh, please! How is going to dinner with Robin Clair a scare?" I snorted.

"Excuse me, missy. I'm pretty sure I already told you how crazy their groupies are about them," Emily hissed lowly. "The minute they find out you two went on a date, you're dead!"

"Who said anything about a date?" I argued, crossing my arms.

"Say what you will, Lexi, but everyone is going to think it was a date— no matter how many times you reassure them that you'd rather lick a toad than date one of the Royals," Emily giggled.

"I could lick a toad to prove it to them," I said, shrugging my shoulders. Emily immediately wrinkled her nose and hit my arm with the back of her hand.

"Gross!" she squealed, before the both of us broke into a fit of giggles. When our laughter finally subsided, I turned to her and asked her something that had been on the back of my mind since yesterday.

"So, what did you and Asher do after shopping?" I asked.

"We, uh, we went back to his place. For dinner," Emily stuttered, a faint blush appearing on her cheeks.

"Just dinner?" I asked, wiggling my eyebrows and causing her to turn a darker shade of crimson.

"Yes!" Emily immediately replied, patting her cheeks. "Ugh, stop making me blush!"

"I think it's pretty cute when you blush," I grinned, flicking her nose and causing her to squeal.

"Don't flick the nose!" she protested, grabbing her nose gently. "You know how red it gets!"

"Sorry, sorry!" I sang, raising my hands in surrender. Then, remembering about the boy that had slipped my mind yesterday, I turned to Emily with a question. "Do you know a boy by the name of Jake Lindon?"

"Jake...Lindon?" Emily repeated, eyebrows furrowing. She looked like she was wracking her brain for answers, but came up with nothing. "I think I might recognise him if I see him around. What about him?"

"Well," I began, a sneaky smile finding its way onto my face. "He asked me out the night of the Winter Ball when I was walking back to my dorm room. He seems like a nice guy."

"You're a little firecracker, aren't you? You're here for less than a month and you've already got boys fawning all over you," Emily teased.

"That's not true!" I gasped. "Jake's the only one!"