9|Complications

Nandini's POV

As I approach Manik's apartment, I hear cheerful, happy voices chattering away. He sounds relaxed, not like the guarded person that he was around me.

"So what do you miss about Delhi the most?" Jenny asks him.

"My mom." He replies instantly.

"What about your dad?" She is being nosy. But he doesn't seem to mind.

He is about to answer when the pressure cooker's whistle buzzes in.

"Ah..I didn't know khichdi could smell this good!" She says appreciatively.

"Thanks. It's mom's recipe." He says. Adoration is clear in his voice. He must love his mom. Well, everyone is not like me. And every mom is not like Nyonika, either.

"So, apart from this sickening dish, what else do you like?"

"Rajma."

"Would that be your favourite?"

"No. Gajar ka halwa is my favourite. Rajma comes a close second." He smiles.

"I would love to cook for you, if my head could fanthom how Indian cuisine is prepared." She sighs.

"I love continental, too." He quips.

"Really! I am glad. I will finally be getting to cook for a man!" She winks.

What the fuck. Why are they being so friendly with each other? I don't like it.

What? Okay, so my possessiveness about Jenny is taking over! Without further ado, I knock on the door.

As expected, I am mesmerised to see him. He is wearing black trousers, the same ones he wore in the gym the other day and a red vest. His hair is wet and floppy, adding to his sex appeal. He looks and smells divine. As I stare at him, I feel a sudden desire to touch him, feel his skin on mine...

He is standing in the doorway with a passive expression, not saying anything. And I am just fucking staring.

"Nandu, what are you doing here?" Jenny calls out.

"I.....was looking...um...for you." I somehow manage to come out of my trance and tell her.

"I was just chatting with this charming young man here who happens to be an awesome cook. That's one thing common between you two."

"Yeah.....let's go." I tell her. Because, if I stay here another minute, this hot, sexy bodyguard will make me lose my mind.

"Manik has made khichdi for dinner. And it smells too good. I was planning to stay back and enjoy some of it. You can join us, if you want to."

"No thanks. I will see you later. Enjoy your meal." I say and leave, without as much as a glance at Manik.

I want to stay back. Really! I want to be around him. But I can't let him have this effect on me. It's unhealthy. I can't think about him or fall into anything that could be painful. I have to protect myself. I can't make myself vulnerable. I can't trust him.

But then, there he is. All intelligent and hot and supportive of my friend. It's just impossible to resist him. But I have to. I can't let myself get hurt. Argh...I don't think this turmoil in my head is going to die out soon. Why does it have to be so difficult?

I am lying in bed waiting for sleep to strike, when Jenny enters.

"Hey, honey! How was your day?"

"Someone finally has time to talk to me."

"Awe...someone is jealous. But, just to inform you, I might not be around too much henceforth, because I have just found out that Manik is fun to be with and you are booooring!" She teases me.