Chapter 2

Mahua: Dude

Dude: Wassup M?

Mahua: I understood one chapter of Maths!

Dude: Did someone steal your phone? I can call the police on you. Where is M?

Mahua: It's me, you doofus!

Dude: What's our code word?

Mahua: Did we have a code word?

Dude: So it is you!

Dude: Wait...Maths?

Dude: Didn't you fail the last test?

Mahua: Yeah!

Dude: Do I need to state the obvious?

Mahua: I found a secret formula.

Dude: Is that secret formula a new brain?

Mahua: Ha ha ha!

Mahua: It's a new book!

Dude: A book?

Dude: Does this book have magical powers?

Dude: I have seen you cry over maths problems since the start of college, you know that right?

Mahua: Yeah but dude, this book! It's golden. And thanks to it, I'm golden.

Dude: What?

Mahua: Gah! I'll see you at the place, yeah?

Dude: Yeah yeah. Bring that book along. Let us observe these magical powers.

A few days later...

Dude was Mahua's best friend. His real name was Mohan but no one ever called him that. At least no one from Mahua's circle of friends. He was the tallest guy in class and almost always wore beanie caps. He also had the sweetest smile Mahua had ever seen. The only thing sweeter than his smile was his personality. But not many people knew that. Mahua and Dude were well known for skipping class. But today, he pulled Mahua towards the noticeboard and made her see the sketching competition poster. She eyed it with distaste and shook her head. Dude swatted her arm and said, "No! You're doing this."

Mahua hit him right back and said, "Uh no I'm not! I don't need to participate in a competition and display my work to the public."

Before Dude could say anything else, she spotted a bright yellow coloured poster right next to the contest announcement and read it slowly.

It is a harsh world out there.

I didn't believe this until my soulmate disappeared.

Rudely pulled away from my loving arms.

I spent many an hour writing many a note.

Yet, I am alone today.

If you spot a big, beautiful, bright red textbook,

With handwritten notes all over it,

You would have spotted my one true love.

She answers to the name of Mathematics: A Better Understanding.

If you find her, you will find me in the same place she was taken away from me.

You know who you are and you know where to find me.

Monday 2 pm.

I await her return.

Dude started laughing when he read the notice. He guffawed and pushed Mahua in jest.

"You stole a poor girl's book? What is wrong with you??"

Mahua looked sheepish. She played around with her trumpet-shaped earrings and felt terribly guilty. Then she pulled out her phone and checked the time. Ugh! It was almost two. She dug out the book from her bag and looked at it longingly. She had to give up her one way ticket to passing this test just when she began understanding the stupid subject. She sighed deeply, squared her shoulders and walked to the library leaving Dude behind.

In the Library

She parked herself on the bench she had found the book on and tried to cram in a few more theories before the girl walked in laying claim on this work of art. She closed the book and looked at the cover once more.

"You bedazzled my book!"

Author's Note: He he he! :D