Chapter 3

She looked back and let her jaw drop.

She thoughtlessly called out, "Nerd Boy?"

She should have known this book belonged to him. She had never laid eyes on a more meticulous person in her life. Even now, as he stood in front of her, there was not one crease on his dark blue sweater or tan trousers. The only crease she could spot was on his forehead. He looked a little...mad at her.

Ranvijay Malik was the resident class topper. He was annoyingly good at every subject he took and every activity he deemed to think worthy enough for him to give his time to. He aced academics, represented the college and won Tennis tournaments and interned for the local newspaper after college. She had heard he even took extra certificate courses. He had his heart and mind set on one of the top five B schools and he seemed well on his way there. If this was not enough, he was among the most attractive guys in class. Tall, lean and muscular, he had light brown eyes hidden behind thin rimless glasses that drove half the female population of the college crazy and a smile that only added to the ridiculous in tray of good luck. Mahua couldn't stand the guy as he never bothered to talk to her or her gang. Probably thought himself above the rest of them.

He neared the bench and picked up the book and ran his fingers over the colourful stones. He turned it over to her and shot an eyebrow. She pursed her lips and said, "I wasn't intending to return the book. Ever!"

He managed to widen his eyes while maintaining the frown. It was like the guy could participate in the facial expression Olympics. She pulled the book from his hands and sat down with a flourish. The next minute, she found him next to her, pulling the book from her grasp.

He said, "I think this book has had enough for your...time and work. I will relieve it from you."

She pulled the book back and said, "I can't believe you wrote that notice. Had I guessed it was you, I would never have come."

He snatched the book back and said, "That was my sister. Apparently a simple "Maths Textbook missing. Call this number." Wasn't good enough.

She forgot to drag the book back and chuckled at that. She added, "Yeah she's right. I wouldn't even have spotted that. Don't bother going into copywriting."

He tucked the book into his bag and got up. She called out, "Hey! Stop!"

He shot up an eyebrow again. It was like he didn't even think words were necessary to speak to her. She said, "I...need that book."

He reached out a hand and pulled out a copy of the same textbook from the shelf without even looking and dumped it onto her lap. She looked at it and said, "No...I meant that one specifically."

He answered shrewdly, "You mean you need my notes..."

g5kp