seven

fanart by @AileenMX

D A N ' S P O V

After checking into the hotel, Bryony left to buy us snacks, leaving Phil and I alone. At the moment I was sat on the bed, while Phil fiddled with the remote.

"Why are you being so different?" He asked suddenly. I looked at him.

"What are you talking about?"

He ran a hand through his air, standing as he turned to me. "You're changing and it's scaring me. The hallucinations and the mood swings . I haven't heard you say 'I love you' in a week now. Is it someone else? Am I just not good enough?"

I cautiously rose. "That's not it."

"Then what is it, Dan? Why are you being like this? Right now, you're someone else. It's scaring me."

"People change," I responded. He shook his head.

"Not this much. Not this fast. Please stop pushing me away, I just want to help."

I shook my head. "Did you not hear me yesterday? I'm not okay, Phil. I've been having nightmares and bad thoughts- I'm seeing things. . . I'm not the same person anymore. If you don't like it, you can leave."

"I'm not leaving, I just don't get it! I don't get you!" He retorted. "This isn't you, it's like someone possessed you! I miss your flower crowns and your oversized sweaters. . . your lectures on life and your clumsiness." Then he quieted slightly and shoved me off, eyes watering with his voice trembling. "I miss your love for swimming and the piano, which I still haven't heard you play," he told me. "I miss you, baby."

"I just. . . I don't know what to do anymore." I dropped to my knees, feeling my eyes water.

Phil tiptoed over to me, sitting down in front of me and taking my hands. I let him hold them. He lifted my hands, and with sadness in his eyes and fear in his heart, kissed my knuckles. "It'll be okay," he promised, locking eyes with me.

And somehow, something clicked in me, and I felt the urge to kiss him. So I did. I leaned forward, took his face gently in my hands, and pressed my lips to his. He kissed back and I pulled away, a small smile on his face. "I'm sorry."

I leaned my forehead against his and exhaled. "You're fine. It's fine. We all lose ourselves sometimes."

I hesitated. "Do you wanna go get ice cream?" I smiled sheepishly. "Just like we did that day on the bridge. When I fell and you came jumping in after me. . ."

He nodded. "I remember, baby. Yes, I'd love to get ice cream with you."

Just then, Bryony walked in, and immediately tensed, her eyes darting around. "What the fuck happened in here? Hurricane Daniel?"

Phil shook his head, standing up. "Nothing you need to worry about. Dan and I are going to get ice cream, we'll be back later."

Bryony nodded, understanding that this wasn't the time. "Yeah. Bring me back something, alright? And please be safe, I'd rather not find you two dead when I had the chance to get food."

Phil and I laughed, though mine was slightly forced, still too upset to mean it. "Sure thing."

We left together, but I didn't reach for his hand, and he didn't reach for mine. We walked to the ice cream shop, hoods over our heads and sunglasses on. I messed with my septum piercing as we walked. We chatted on the way there, Phil pretending as if nothing had happened, and I mentally thanked him for that.

We ate and for the first time in a long time, I smiled. I smiled and I meant it. While eating, I began to remember how my mother would take me to get ice cream when I was sad.

"Daniel, don't cry," my mother pleaded. I sniffled.

"But I lost the relay. I'm not a good swimmer. I'm not good enough for the team."

My mother shook her head, kneeling down to my height, brushing my curls out of my face and kissing my forehead. "Don't say that. You are good enough- better even. You're the hardest worker on the team and everybody knows it. If you really love swimming, then you should continue it. Never, and I mean never, let anything or anybody keep you from something or someone you love. Alright?"

I nodded, the last tear slipping from my eye. My mother wiped it with her thumb, giggling softly. "Now, how does ice cream sound?"

A smile replaced my frown and she laughed, standing up and reaching her hand out. I took it, following her. "I love you, mommy."

She grinned down at me. "I love you more, baby."

But my flashback was quickly cut off when an all too familiar acquaintance passed by the window, snapping me out of my daze. I swallowed roughly, eyes following the figure.

"Holy shit."

Phil furrowed his eyebrows, turning around to try and see what I was looking at. I got up from my seat, pushing open the door and peeking outside.

Phil stood up behind me. "What? Who is it?"

I pointed, eyes locked on his face, waiting for a reaction. "Oh my god." He saw it too now.

"What should we do?" I questioned.

"Nothing. We can't risk it-" But then in the corner of my eye, saw her turn to face us. I gulped. "Too late now."

"Dan? Phil? Is it really you?"

My lips parted as she began walking towards us, confusion and happiness on her face at the same time. Her smile widened once she realized it truly was us. Phil stepped forward, forcing a grin before speaking up.

"Hi, Nyla."