Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I hold in a yawn as I tap my foot on the ground, watching the time tick by on the clock. It was my last period of the day and it wasn't going by fast enough. My biology teacher kept droning on and on about some meaningless crap I couldn't care less about.

I sigh doodling a small deer into my biology notebook. A beautiful buck with horns that extend out from it's head. It was always my dream to have a mate of the same species as me, but sadly, I have never met another deer shapeshifter in my lifetime so far.

"Louis what type of deer is this?" My overly annoying biology teacher, Mrs. Smith asks me.

I sigh seeing a picture of a beautiful red buck on the board. It was a magnificent species of deer that always took my breath away every time I saw it. It's horns on top of it's head making it look like it was wearing a crown on top of it's head, so it looked like a king. "That's a red deer," I tell her, bored.

She gives me a wide smile and turns to stare at the class. "Yes Louis, thank you," she says.

Thank god the bell rings in the next moment so I don't have to worry about her telling the class about how good a student I am. The only reason I knew about that species of deer is because I've fantasied about that same breed coming and taking me away from this place every single day.

I meet my younger brother, Niall, at my locker where we always meet before work after school. I greet my baby brother with a kiss on the cheek. "Hi, babe."

He gives me a smile flashing me his newly straightened teeth. "Hey Lou, how was your day?" He asks me with his Irish twang.

I groan dramatically. "It was terrible," I tell him, grabbing ahold of his hand and dragging him along with me to the parking lot as I continue. "That new German exchange student thought that he would throw a fucking ball at my face in gym today."

Niall giggles as he hops into the cab of my beat up pick up truck. "Is that all?" He asks me.

"No, then he thought he was going to swear at me in German. So, then I was just like, listen here you little German twat I know every word that is coming out of your mouth so shut it," I tell Niall, my rant making the dyed blonde burst into hysterics.

"Did you get into trouble?" Niall asks me as I start up my truck and it roars to life.

"No, he did actually," I tell him pulling out of the school parking lot and into traffic. "Mrs. Hummel was just like Enrico go to the principle's office you can't swear at people in German in my class."

"That lady's a bitch," Niall tells me as we were suddenly stopped because of traffic, the cars in front of us not moving a single inch.

"I know right. I asked her to use the bathroom once and she almost ripped my head off," I tell him, giggling at the end.

I crinkle my eyebrows in confusion when no one is still not moving in front of us. "Why the hell are we still sitting here?" I ask Niall.

He shrugs. "Traffic jam. Maybe there was an accident or something up the road," he tells me.

I groan and bang my head on the steering wheel in aggravation. "We don't have time for this we need to get to work."

Niall sighs from beside me. "Lou, calm down. We'll get there."

I turn and glare at him. "If we're late for work then we're docked pay and having docked pay means not having food on the table Niall. That's something that can not happen," I tell him.

See Niall and I's parents weren't the richest people in town they could barely put food on the table for us boys. They owned a bakery at the far side of town and if the bakery didn't do well that day well then we weren't going to eat.