Christmas Special

"Don't you dare....Daniel NO!"

I launched myself out the way of the incoming snowball (by now more of an icerock) and firmly ass-planted in the middle of the driveway. Thanking my lucky stars that Daniel was carrying the bag of hastily wrapped (and breakable) gifts, I glared up at the giggling Australian.

"Are you gonna just stand there or are you gonna help me up?"

"Well I was thinking that I might just..."

"WRONG ANSWER"

I wiped my hands slowly and deliberately on the front of his trouser legs

"Heyyyyyy - favourite jeans" he pouted.

"New dress" I retorted, standing up and pointing to the wet patch adorning my backside.

"Here" Dan made an elaborate show of attempting to 'dry' the offending area. 

"Anything to get your hands on my arse eh boy" I rolled my eyes and dragged him hurriedly towards the privacy of the front porch.

"Why do you think I married you?"

"Reckon I could come up with a few reasons"

I bit my lip mischievously and reached up to brush a stray snowflake from where it had been nestling amongst Dan's soft curls. Laughing I pressed it to his lips and covered it with my own,  the delicate crystal melting deliciously against our skin as we kissed. Even in the freezing temperatures the heat between us was building, fumbling hands frustrated by the layers of impenetrable winter clothing. 

"Ah shit, I think we've been spotted"

I rearranged my dress and pointed downwards to the small boy now peering at us wide-eyed through the lower pane of glass.

"Morning Jack-o!"

I stuck my head cautiously round the door and squeezed inside before he could make a bid for freedom. Crouching down I gave the child a hug and pointed up at Dan who was unceremoniously dumping the presents in the middle of the hall..

"You remember Uncle Danny don't you?"

"But I'm not his..."

"And I'm not his Aunt but he's THREE Daniel, don't confuse the kid"

Jack stared warily at Dan and put his thumb stubbornly back into his mouth but Dan was having none of it.

"G'day champ!"

Jack was up onto Daniel's shoulders before he could blink, his surprised squeak replaced by delighted gurgles as he realised that he could now reach the tinsel that sparkled temptingly above the doorway. That settled it - Auntie Em was forgotten in an instant, Uncle Danny was much more fun. It was becoming a recurring pattern where kids were concerned.

Admitting defeat I headed for the living room door where the sounds of music and laughter could be heard.

"Brace yourself" I whispered in Dan's ear "and for God's sake don't forget to duck as you walk in - I do NOT need a kid with concussion on my conscience."

"HEYYYYYYYY!"

"HERE THEY ARE!"

"LOOK WHO IT IS"

The chorus came from both right and left. Christmas had well and truly arrived at the Taylor house along with most of my extended family. Even my Grandma was here. Well into her nineties but still keen to join in the fun she occupied the prime position on the sofa surrounded by children, grandchildren and great-grand children. I swallowed back the lump in my throat knowing that this day had been organised for us, so that I could spend some of the festive season with as much of my family as possible before we jetted Down Under to spend Christmas proper with the Ricciardos. It was only fair - they were family too now but much as I loved them it just wasn't the same as a British Christmas back 'home'.