Chapter 20: The Return of Self-Pity

I stretched out my arms enjoying the feel of the silky sheets on my skin as I relaxed in the bed. Today was going to be a good day. It was Monday morning, the day of my big job interview and I had a good feeling about this one.

I was going to eat a big breakfast to keep my inner self at bay and steer clear of coffee for the persisting morning to give myself the best chance at focusing since my inner self always seemed to go hyper on the extra hit of caffeine.

I was confident I was in for a good chance.

Pulling back the blankets I bounced out of bed and continued to ready myself, pulling my hair back into a tight neat bun and slipping into one of the dresses Anthony had paid for during his brief duration as a shopaholic. It was cute and sensible with a slight sass to it that I liked with its diamond shaped neckline that allowed a little cleavage but not enough to be classified as anything other than respectable.

The blue colour of the dress set off the gold zipper along the back that was supposed to be more of a fashion accessory than a practical dress zipper. I stepped into a pair of black-strapped heels and added a simple gold ring to my right hand - since I have yet to locate my so-called engagement ring - something I really needed to locate.

"I've got this. I can do this." I nodded my head and gave myself a quick pep talk.

For about ten minutes until you trip over your own feet or walk into a door.

"Shut up. Not today. Today is my day and you will stay silent." I narrowed my eyes at my inner self and pointed my finger at my reflection in the mirror.

There was no need to be silent since Anthony still wasn't home.

Spinning around I walked out of the bedroom and into the kitchen, determined to put something in my stomach to cage in the beast that is my inner self.

I put the toast in the toaster and started preparing my bag, printing off a copy of all relevant documents - my proof of graduation and my resume that was kind of short - and decided to steal one of Anthony's expensive looking pens that sat beside the house phone.

A small trinket for good luck.

You stole someone's pen.

Yes, yes I did.

And don't you feel bad about that? My conscience reared her ugly head and looked up at me with seemingly innocent eyes.

Not really.

That's my girl. My inner self smiled.

"Great, now I am having a three way conversation with myself." I rolled my eyes and continued to butter my burnt toast.

And it's only early!

I shuddered. Yes, only early, just imagine what else could go wrong by the end of the day.

The possibilities are endless.

Finishing up my breakfast, I checked myself over in the mirror one last time to make sure I had nothing on my teeth or that my mascara hadn't decided it looked better on the top of my eyelid or along my cheek.

Nodding in approval I headed down stairs and out in to the street, taking a quick cab ride to the SJR merchandising building. Seeing the large SJR on the older styled building in the city I pulled out my e-mail for further information.

The position I was applying for was an opening position at West-End, a company dealing with a fashion brand but I would be working in the business sector. I walked into the building and rode the elevator up to the forth floor, looking round at the colourful interior.