Part 21

From: Lucas Garver >

To: Bailey Prescott >

_______________________________________________

Gods and Professors

July 20, 2012 at 10:38 PM

_______________________________________________

Dear Bailey,

What's the weather like where you are? It's cold and miserable here. The house is up for sale and the boxes that I'm keeping are safely tucked away in Violet's garage. I'm keeping the smallest of the old boxes with me. Inside was a hidden treasure I never even knew existed. How cool is it that it's full of old handwritten letters from my grandparents?!

I haven't told you very much about my mom yet, and I think since you are going to try to guess my middle name you should know how I got it. My mother loved reading and always took classes at the local colleges wherever we lived. She only took English so she never really got her degree, but she knew everything there was to know about reading, writing and research. One of the things she loved to read was Greek Mythology. She never told my father this, but a few semesters before she met him, she dated one of her professors. Gasp! I'll give you a minute to let that sink in................yes, my mother hooked up with her teacher.

When she got sick, she told me all about how she used to meet up with him and they'd spend hours talking all about the gods and what it would have been like to live in a time where you worshiped and believed in them. She loved that each were named after something important. There is a god for everything, she told me. Things didn't work out with the professor. I guess he was really into dating students, but only when they were in his class. Once she took her final, he was on to the next. My mom said it stung a little at the time, but she soon found my dad and fell madly in love. She never told him about her time with the teacher, but she chose a middle name for me that she thought had meaning. My dad was against it, but in the end, the mother has the final say.

I'm telling you all of this stuff because I can never take you to meet her. We can't have that awkward moment where I have to introduce the two of you. I don't get to sit at the dinner table and share a meal while you guys get to know each other. She was an amazing woman, and now that I've met you, I'm a little mad about her dying all over again. I was cheated out of my awkward moment, and you were cheated out of meeting the nicest, Greek god-loving woman that ever lived. That sucks. You won't ever meet her, but it means something to me that you will still know her.

Sleep tight my terrible-at-guessing-my-middle-name friend.

Love,

Lucas

P.S. I ordered myself a pizza tonight as I packed up a lot of boxes to give to charity. You were with me in spirit. I think that totally counts as a virtual date. 

******Please remember to vote and share! What kind of music goes good with pizza and virtual dates? Sound off below in the comments section! What's their song?