27. Counsel and Combat

Dedicated to magicofwords for all your hilarious comments that completely make my day and for your lovely votes. I'm sooo lucky to have a reader like you, thanks sweetie!

A huge shoutout to maybewannabe for all your amazing support! I really really appreciate it hun!

Picture of Megan Houston (Emma Stone) to the side.  

This chapter is unedited so please excuse the grammatical errors.

___

Suzzanah's POV

I can't go on...I can't go on like this!

A searing, thundering, overwhelming urge befell my terrified persona, an urge to getaway, to getaway from it all. My breath hitched and my body trembled under the weight of that one revelation.

I'm seeing ghosts!

I swallowed hard and took deep breaths. My heart continued to hammer in my chest at a rate far too alarming to be normal. My throat felt dry as I breathed shakily through my mouth, trying hard to keep my fear at bay.

I'm seeing ghosts!

I bit my lip hard to stop myself from screaming my lungs out and clenched my fists to stop them from trembling. Everything I had known to be true had been disproved in the last couple of days and I had had to bear the weight of knowing a completely new reality all alone, without a single other soul to share in my burden. And I had finally reached my limit.

I was seeing...ghosts!...

"Suzzanah? Are you alright?"

"Hey, what's up with you? You look pale"

Megan and Annabelle were trying to talk to me but I couldn't answer them. I didn't know how, I didn't know what to say to them, I didn't know anything! I squeezed my eyes shut and fisted my hair as waves of panic and fear threatened to drown my sanity.

"Hey, what's wrong?

Stop it!

"Hello? Earth to Suzzanah"

Stop taking to me!

"Suzzanah?!!"

Just stop! Stop saying my name!

"You're shaking! Are you okay? Hey, Suzzanah?!"

STOP!

"SUZZANAH??"

STOP calling me-

Lunaaa

My eyes shot open and unfathomable terror rushed through my veins at the recollection of that man's eerie voice. Before I even knew what I was doing, I had stood up and was making my way towards the stairs that led down to the ground. I needed to get back to my room, I needed to get away, from all the supernatural people, from all the paranormal beings, from everyone! I needed to get away right now!

Both Megan and Annabelle were calling out to me but their voices already sounded distant. I wasn't listening, I couldn't anymore. I ran across my row of seats, then down the wide flight of stairs and through the teeming crowd. I ran out the large gate that led to the Game grounds and down the cobblestone pathway, not even stopping for a breath, till the scenery around me blurred into a passing haze.

Just when I reached the fence nearing the turn leading to the rooms, my legs gave out underneath me and I collapsed against the wooden fence, my hands clutching it desperately for support as I gasped for breath. My lungs burned within my chest and my limbs trembled under my weight, the weight of an outsider. I didn't belong here, I was not supposed to be a part of this world. I was an outsider, I was afraid and I was alone-