Chapter 1.7 (The supposed duel)

(The amazing Emma Watson as Hermione Jean Granger)

Sometimes memories sneak out of my eyes and roll down my cheeks. -unknown

The Hogwarts castle
Scotland, Great Britain
September 19 1991

They searched for Hermione everywhere but she didn't want to be found and in a castle this big, someone who doesn't want to be found, won't be.

So after three hours of searching, the three girls went back to the common room and Artemis sat there waiting for Hermione to come back.

Victoria was helping Artemis with her Astronomy, which was by far Artemis's worst subject and Victoria's best.

Artemis thought it was ridiculous to go to sleep for a few hours until midnight. She dressed into her pyjamas so that Hermione wouldn't think she was going to sneak out. She was just pulling on her dark-blue pyjama pants when Hermione finally came up the stairs, her hair wet.

She completely ignored the others as she brushed her brown hair, that, when wet, reached between her shoulderblades. She sure looked different when her hair wasn't frizzy. Her hair was darker because it was wet and it didn't hide her soft features as much but instead framed them nicely. Her warm chocolat brown eyes and creamy skintone looked lighter as if they had been in her hair's shadow all this time. She truly was beautiful. If only she realised that herself instead of concentrating on her flaws. Yes, her teeth were a little too big for her mouth but it made her delicate face-structure even more appearant. And yes, her hair was frizzy but it was also incredibly soft and had a nice copper glow to it when she walked in the sun.

Artemis sighed and shared a look with Elizabeth. "Hermione?"

The friendship between Artemis and Elizabeth was natural. They were very much alike despite their little differences.

But Artemis also had a close bond with Hermione. The two of them didn't always get along and they defintely had different opinions on most things but still...Artemis wanted Hermione in her life. That's why she got up from her bed and walked over to Hermione, sitting beside her. "They are boys, Hermione, they make mistakes. We all do. Just let them think they're heroes for an evening. If they get caught, it will teach them a valuable life-lesson..."

"You know, listen to a woman's intuition once in a while instead of to your own and maybe you'll live a little longer." Elizabeth said from the other side of the room.

"That's sexist, Effie." Victoria pointed out.

"Okay, fine, in the case of Harry Potter and Ronald Weasley, basically listen to everyone but themselves. How's that?"

Artemis rolled her eyes and threw a pillow at Elizabeth to get her to shut up before turning back to Hermione. "Live a little, Hermione. Learn to let go and just let it happen."

Hermione didn't respond. Artemis looked down and sighed. "Happy birthday, Hermione." She whispered and went back over to her own bed, snuggling into the covers.

The Hogwarts castle
Scotland, Great Britain
Night of 19 to 20 September 1991

They others went to bed not long after that. Parvati being the last one to come in, her hair was everywhere and she tried to flatten it, muttering something that sounded like 'They're lucky they're pretty.'

Artemis stayed up, listening to everyone falling asleep. At eleven, when she finally heard Lavender's rather loud snores, she silently got out of her bed and took the black jumper lying ready on top of her chest and pulled it over her head.

She crept across the tower room, down the spiral staircase, and into the Gryffindor common room. She opened the door at the bottom and jumped a few feet into the air as she saw the angry face of her best friend just several inches from her own.