Four : The Chase

My breath was coming out in harsh pants, lungs burning and stomach heaving while my sides felt like they were on fire as I ran as fast as I could through the forest.

There was only one thought that continuously repeated in my mind like a mantra.

I don't want to die.

I have so many things that I want to do.

I can't die.

The wind was beating against my back when I tugged the lab jacket off of me, tossing it into a bush that I ran past without glancing behind me in fear of slowing down.

Why was this happening to me?

Sweat dripped down the sides of my temples and my burning neck when I turned a corner, barely dodging a protruding branch when I stomped past as quickly as I could.

I had lost sight of Amy and Asuka a while back when we all ran in different directions, almost like bats out of hell. It was like a tactic in order to distract them so that they could only choose one out of the three to go after to give the other two a chance to get further away.

Truthfully, this felt like we were in the survival of the fittest game where all three of us are contenders for the title.

I wasn't a runner.

Never have and never would be.

I wasn't the all-star player during athletic competitions in high school and I definitely wasn't that one person that stood out among the rest with super athletic skills.

This wasn't a silly high school competition, this was about outrunning natural predators while playing in their field with my life at stakes.

I knew that trying to outrun them was almost impossible, but the hopeful human part of me beat down the logical side of me with ideas of possibly making it past the grove of trees and into the city where I would be discovered and saved.

The torch of hope burned bright in me.

As I swerved a corner, dodging a tall tree, I could hear the loud pounding of feet---paws. It echoed across the expanse of the forest to which all the birds fled upon its approach.

Fear, horror, and desperation filled my entire being as I willed my burning legs to run faster.

When I turned my head and looked behind me, my eyes caught a tuft of brown fur from the corner of my vision before it disappeared.

Then I panicked.

At the initial glance, I dodged to the left and then swerved to the right to see a big, almost 5-6 foot, were-beast in front of my vision, drool dripping from its jaw onto the ground as it completely blocked off my path with its enormous body.

My knees slammed to the forest floor when I immediately tried to halt and stumbled, twisting around and running in hopes of getting away.

But inside my head, I already knew it was game over.

"I found you, ugly bitch," came his familiar taunting voice that lilted in a gleeful yet bone-chilling way.

His glowing dark eyes snapped to my face while sharp canines bared for me to see. The sight was so damned sinister and evil that I couldn't tear my gaze away.

I was stunned still and my hope was seemingly dashed at that very moment.

No.

I tumbled to the right, feeling surrounded and suddenly claustrophobic. My lungs heaved as I fought the urge to puke from the stress of running and the fear of what being caught actually meant.