twenty-three

I sat at my desk, flipping through the story I'd been sitting with for hours now, still unable to focus long enough to actually edit the stupid thing. I had a headache that was only getting exponentially worse, and was probably going to develop itself into a migraine soon.

I had taken my lunch break in my office, not wanting to go out and talk with Niall and Michael. It wasn't that I didn't want to talk to them, it was just that I didn't want to be around anyone.

I didn't even know why I was still at work. I wasn't doing anything, I definitely wasn't accomplishing anything and I certainly didn't even want to be there. I was probably just staying so I didn't feel down on myself about leaving early and giving up.

I knew Thursday's I was supposed to spend with Ashton at Starbucks but I just wasn't feeling it. I texted both him and Luke to inform them that I would be coming straight home from work because I had a massive headache and just wanted to lie down.

I made it out the door from work in time to not run into anyone so I could catch the bus back to my apartment. When I got inside, I first took my heels off of my aching feet and changed into sweats, sighing of relief when I removed my bra. I proceeded to collapse in my cool bed, my headache subsiding slightly.

After a few minutes I knew I needed to take something or my headache wasn't going to go anywhere. I got out of bed to get in the kitchen and take some aspirin, wrapping myself in a blanket and laying on the couch.

I turned the tv on some dumb show to distract myself, only to turn it back off when I answered my phone to find it was Chris calling me.

"Hello?" I answered, suddenly anxious about what news he had.

"Hey Taylor," he said. "I just wanted to call to let you know, mom is stable and they think she'll be leaving the hospital within a couple weeks. She's recovering well."

"That's good," I sighed, relieved that nothing horrible happened to her. She was my mom, after all and she did give me life.

"There's bad news with it though," he said.

"Go on."

"Once she's out of the hospital, her license is suspended, she has to go to rehab, and she's got a pretty hefty fine for the telephone pole she ran into," he said. "She's doing better but she really needs help."

"Yeah, going to rehab will be good for her," I said. "This kind of thing can't be happening, I thought she was past this."

"We all did Taylor," he said. "How have you been holding these past few days?"

"Well, I mean I've been surviving," I said honestly. "I don't know what's gotten into me lately. Maybe it's just because this was the time of year that things started getting bad with Josh last year."

"He's not a part of you anymore," he said. "He is way in the past and you won't need to worry about him anymore. You have people to protect you."

"I know," I said. "I just can't forget what he did to me. It's so much easier said than done."

"I know," he said. "I'm just telling you that you have people who care about you and won't let that happen again."

"Yeah." I closed my eyes, taking a moment to remember where I am now, which is not where I was a year ago.

"I'll let you get back to whatever you were doing," Chris said. "I just wanted to keep you updated."

"Okay," I said. Saying our goodbyes, we hung up and I laid back on the couch, staring at the ceiling.

It wasn't long before Luke came into the apartment, taking off his jacket and saying hello when he got into the living room.

"How are you feeling?" he asked, crouching in front of me and feeling my forehead.

"Better," I said. "My headache has gotten a lot better. I was about to go in and start dinner."

"I'll make dinner tonight," he said, pushing me back on the couch. "You need to rest and feel better."

"Are you sure? It's supposed to be my night to make dinner--"

"And there have been times when you've done the same for me," he said. "Just relax, I'll take care of it."

He was out of the room before I could protest and honestly I didn't want to protest. I closed my eyes and dozed off a little before Luke came and nudged my shoulder gently, informing me that dinner was done.

I got up and sat at the table, Luke placing my plate of food in front of me. I took a bite, and didn't process what Luke was saying to me.

"Did you hear me Taylor?" he asked, and I looked up at him.

"What? No, sorry, what did you say?" I asked.

"I said Ashton told me to tell you he hoped you felt better soon," he said. "He seemed concerned that you didn't even want to stop for tea for a bit."

"I wanted to, I just wasn't feeling good at all," I said, leaning forward to eat more of my dinner. I wasn't hungry but I knew I should eat something or I'd regret it later.

"I know, and he understands. He just hopes you feel better," he said.

"I'll see him tomorrow anyways--oh I completely forgot!" I set my fork down.

"What did you forget?" Luke asked me.

"I meant to tell you on Tuesday that Michael is having another party tomorrow night and he wants you to come along. God I've been spacing everything out lately," I picked up my fork again, trying to eat again.

"Are you okay Taylor?" he asked. "You've been acting weird lately, and it's like you've been off in some other world the past few days."

"Yeah I'm fine," I said, brushing it off. "Are you coming tomorrow?"

"Yeah, I'll come along. I'm concerned about you though," he said.

"Why are you concerned?" I asked. "I have everything under control."

"You've just been acting weird lately," he said. "It's like you've been doing some other thing all week. Is something bothering you?"

"No," I lied.

"Are you sure?" he pestered. "I'm really worried, you've never acted like this before."

"I'm fine, I swear," I smiled at him for emphasis. "I'm just under a bit of stress from work. It's not a big deal."

"Don't lie to me Taylor," he sighed.

"I'm not," I said. "I swear I'll be better soon, I'm just under a bit of stress right now from work."

He looked hesitant, but reluctantly dropped the subject and asked me what it was going on at work exactly, which I used the excuse of the merging company to cover it up.

I went into my bedroom early, trying to unwind and relax by reading a book. I told myself I was going to have fun at Michael's party and I didn't have anything to worry about. Josh wasn't a part of my life anymore. I was free and I wasn't being held down by anyone.

My pillow and bed were more inviting than ever, making me pass out almost as soon as I laid down to sleep.

(short update but I'll make up for it later)