Chapter 37 - Sam's Point of View

*Sam's Point of View*

There he is...completely helpless. I have only seen him this hopeless once in my life and it was when he was twelve and playing soccer. He broke his leg on the field and had to have a cast for over a month. That was when his dream of being a soccer player shattered and since then he never kicked a ball again.

I watch Max from the glass panel that lets into his room. The doctor told us he is critical.

Violet squeezes my hand for reassurance but my body is so numb I don't feel a thing.

Mum's crying in the corner of the waiting room while dad hugs her and Sophia tries to get her to eat something.

Just yesterday we were all together laughing and enjoying our day.

"You should eat something."

I turn around to notice Violet lifting a sandwich in her hand.

I shake my head and turn around.

"You can't starve yourself," she says. "Max wouldn't want that."

"Violet, please."

"Just take one bite but please don't starve yourself."

"Violet, would you for god's sake leave me alone!" I shout as I turn to face her.

Her face freezes and she takes a step back.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to shout," I say as I place my hand on her shoulder.

She pulls herself back then turns and runs.

Dammit, I scared her.

I take one look at Max's helpless form. "Sorry bro."

I turn and run after Violet.

She takes the stairs so I follow her but soon I lose her. Looking around, the only place that makes sense is for her to have left the hospital.

I exit out of the automatic doors and there on the side of the entrance by the bricked fence on which she is sitting on, I see her crying.

I walk over. "I'm really sorry. That was no way to behave."

She turns and tries to wipe her tears in a way to make sure I don't see or know that she's been crying.

I sit beside her and pull her body to mine. "My family means the world to me, I was just really scared for Max and I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

"Promise you won't do it again," she says through her eyelashes as she looks up at me.

"Promise."

She hugs me tighter and pulls me up. "Let's go back to your brother, I'm sure he needs you."

I nod.

"I'm sorry I overreacted. I should've not gotten upset because clearly you didn't mean it."

I kiss her forehead. "You didn't overreact. I was wrong."

Grabbing her fingers between mine, for the first time since hearing about the accident I feel calm.

---------------

Six hours have passed and the doctors have finally came out of the room. They tell us that he is much better.

Daniel arrives at the hospital and immediately begins to shout. "I'm going to find that truck driver and kill him for what he did to my brother!"

I grab Daniel by the shoulders. "Calm down."

I notice a tear slip from his eye before he pulls me into an embrace. Usually he's the rock of our family but today he looks completely and utterly shattered.

My phone rings so I excuse myself to the corner of the waiting room.

"Hello."

"Hello, Sam Anderson."

"Who is this?"

"It doesn't matter who I am. What matters is that your brother might not live."

I go stiff. "What do you mean?"

"Did you honestly think your brother is in the hospital because of an accident. No no no, he is there because we put him there."

I squeeze my phone harder and through gritted teeth say "what do you want?"

"Money. Isn't it obvious. Currently he is recovering and I'll let it stay that way but if I don't get my money then maybe he won't recover."

"Who are you?"

"That doesn't matter. Twenty million dollars at Madison's garden cemetery at seven today. If you ain't there then Max won't be there either."

The phone cuts. I stare at the screen. It's a blocked number.

Violet notices my changed expression as she walks over.

"What's wrong?"

I grab her by the shoulders. "I need you to stay behind Max's door until I come back. Don't move, babe and don't let anyone in. If anything happens and I mean anything, you ring me."

"Why are you talking like that?"

I pull her into an embrace and carefully whisper into her ears. "I think we're being watched. Someone put Max in here and I'm going to find out who. Don't say a word and don't show any expression. I don't want anyone knowing."

When I pull back from the embrace, Violet kisses me hard against the lip and then says. "Save the dirty talk for later."

She walks over to the door of Max's room and winks my direction.

I knew I could count on her. My family wouldn't be able to handle it if they knew, so I don't tell them.

I turn around, exit the door and get into my car.