Chapter Ten

A/N: Here's chapter ten, enjoy!  Comment and vote:)

*******************

            I'm home alone today, but I still feel crowded.  The house walls are suffocating me, trapping me with my thoughts.  I've done everything to get out of my mind, like eating and listening to music and texting Keely.  But I still can't seem to think of anything but my horrible date.

            I'm glad Cassi isn't home.  It's been almost impossible to keep this kind of secret from her.  It's especially difficult when Mom is in the same room, glancing suggestively between Cassi and me, as though she, too, is dying to confess my secret.  Eventually, I will tell Cassi the truth about my date with Alex.  I'll tell her that he never liked me and just wanted her, which truthfully won't be much of a surprise to anyone.  But for now, I'm forcing my mouth to stay closed.

            Two nights ago, when I came home from my disastrous evening, Cassi was practically bouncing off the walls to hear how it went.  I honestly think she believes me to be hopelessly undatable.  Well, it looks like she's right, seeing as my first date was as terrible as it was.  Nonetheless, I pulled the charade off well.  I started off with the truth, explaining how we went to Pietro's and ate delicious pasta—not that I had enough of my meal to know.  Then, I glided into an elaborate story of how wonderful our date went from there.  It was the most obviously fabricated story, and I'm surprised Cassi didn't recognize it from all the times I blabbed on about my fairytale first date. 

            I told her that after dinner, we went downtown and walked along the boardwalk, holding hands the entire time.  Then, Alex and I supposedly got ice cream at the fancy dessert place a few blocks over.  My imaginary date ended when he kissed me in front of Rosemary Park, even though there was a crowd of people watching.  Of course, my made-up crowd whistled and clapped at us, but Alex didn't care.  Because he liked me that much.

            As soon as I finished my ostentatious tale, Cassi's eyes gleamed at me like I had just announced my engagement to the guy.  She spent the entire night rambling on and on about how Alex and I just had to come on a double date with her and Elliot.  Luckily, Coach has been working us hard over the past few practices, so Cassi hasn't had the chance to ask Alex any questions.  Still, it's only a matter of time before she corners him and demands to know about our date.  I'm going to look like a psychopath when Cassi realizes I made the entire thing up.

            I groan and sink my head into my hands.  I feel like I can't breathe.  Finally, I push away from my bed and start stripping out of my pajamas.  I can't stand being in the house anymore.  Instead, I throw on my old running clothes and pull my hair into a pony tail.  I used to run all the time in middle school, but I gave that up when I got into swimming.  It's been ages since I've been on a solid run, and right now, nothing sounds better than stretching my legs and clearing my mind.

            I've barely stepped foot outside when a shiny grey car pulls into the driveway.  Even with my lacking car knowledge, I can tell it's expensive.  I figure a nice vehicle like that must be in the wrong driveway and only pulled in to turn around or glance over a map.  Rather than talking to the person, who is completely shielded behind tinted windows, I stroll into the grass.  I always stretch before I run, but I feel self-conscious with the possibility of a stranger watching as I do.  Just to be on the safe side, I sit on the grass and start with the butterfly stretch, never taking my eyes off the grey car.

            Just as I'm starting to get suspicious as to why it hasn't left yet, the driver's door pops open.  I quickly snap my head away, as though I shouldn't be nervously staring at the mysterious vehicle.