Chapter Eleven

Colton woke early as he didn't sleep well and went to the kitchen with his laptop. He knew he could get work done while everyone was sleeping. He sat in the silence as the staff worked around him to make breakfast for everyone. No one said anything to him, but he could there sympathetic looks at him from the corner of his eye. Giovanna walked into the kitchen completely dressed and her done and sat at the table. Colton stared at her wondering why she was already dressed. She didn't offer an explanation and sat and ate her breakfast in silence.

"Where were you?" Colton asked as he turn back to his computer screen.

"I went to the hospital," she said simply. Colton was surprised that she had gone on her own. But then again she may have wanted some alone time with their father.

"How was he?" Colton asked.

"Fine. He was awake when I arrived and we talked a bit and then he fell asleep so I left," she said without going into too much detail. Colton could tell it was difficult for her to watch their father disintegrate in front of them. Especially since they had just started to reconnect. Their conversation ended and they sat in silence as the staff cleaned up their dishes.

"We are going to see dad. So we will see you later," Byron announced as he walked into the kitchen with Anna behind him.

"Sounds good," Colton said as he packed up his laptop. Byron and Anna quickly ate their food and then headed for the door. They left and Colton stood up to leave. He looked over at his sister who was staring out at the backyard. He walked over to her and kissed the top of her head and put his hand on her shoulder. She reached up and held onto his hand and squeezed it. When they heard the staff moving behind them they broke apart and Colton left the room. He couldn't remember the last time they had a moment like that.

When Colton got to his room he put his laptop down on one of the chairs and saw that Kayla was still sleeping. He looked at the clock and it said 9:08 am. He went to her side of the bed and stared at her. She looked so peaceful lying there. This was when she was the most beautiful. He loved it. He smiled to himself, kissed her on the forehead and went to have a shower.

Kayla rolled over and looked at the clock. It said 10:48am. She jumped out of bed immediately and then realized she didn't really have anywhere to go. She decided to get up and go to the kitchen and make breakfast for herself. She didn't even realize she was in Colton's room instead of Giovanna's until she walked out of the door. She assumed Giovanna had him move her so she could sleep on her own. When she arrived in the kitchen her breakfast was already on the table and there was no one there. She sat down and ate her breakfast and heard someone walk into the room behind her. She turned around and it was Colton, in a suit.

"Why are you wearing that?" She asked furrowing her brows. Colton sat down beside her and plucked one of her strawberries before answering.

"I had a meeting," he said as he put the strawberry in his mouth.

"A meeting? Like for work?" Kayla asked surprised that he would be working right now.

"Yeah my dad had it set up and since he couldn't make it I had to go," he explained looking at her. He could tell she was not impressed.

"I'm sorry. Your father is in the hospital pretty much on his deathbed and you are setting up meetings for work?" She exclaimed standing up. She was furious; how could he do that? Did he really have no heart?

"He had it set up and he wanted me to go. No big deal," Colton said standing up trying to defend himself. Why was she so mad?

"Wow," she said as she started to leave the room. Colton walked after her and grabbed her arm to turn her around. Just as he grabbed her arm Giovanna walked into the room.

"Pop wants you to go to the hospital now," she said not looking up from her iPad. Colton let go of Kayla's arm immediately and stood there sheepishly.

"Okay, we'll leave in a couple of minutes," he said as she walked out of the room. He looked over at Kayla who glared at him and stalked off to the stairs.

"I'm sorry," he called after her but she just slammed the door to their room. He assumed she would be getting ready to leave and waited at the bottom of the stairs for her. A few minutes later Kayla was dressed and they walked out to the car. Kayla was still furious with him and Colton didn't understand why. They didn't speak for the entire ride to the hospital and Kayla slammed the door to his Porsche when they parked. Colton finally caught up with her in his father's hospital room, she was already sitting down beside him talking.