Chapter 15.1: Edward and Xavier

"Look at you, all grown up and dressed like a lady," Xavier laughed, taking a step back so I could give him a twirl before throwing myself into his arms. Rosanna cleared her throat much louder than necessary when I kept squeezing my favorite brother.

"I can't believe you're here!" I said, my face splitting with a smile. Xavier looked every bit the way I'd remembered him, his white necktie slightly crooked and his hair escaping the pomade he'd probably been forced to use.

"It would seem some introductions are in order," Xavier said, nodding towards Rosanna and Emily.

"Xavier this is Rosanna and Emily," I said quickly, linking my arm with his and dragging him away from them before he could start up a conversation.

"Trust me, they're not nearly as interesting as they look," I said, when he opened his mouth to protest. Instead, he laughed.

"Manners Mistress would slap you on the wrist," he said, patting my hand in the crook of his elbow, "Where exactly are you taking me?"

"To the food," I replied, "So I can eat while you tell me all about Oxford and why you're back,"

"Ah, well there's nothing exciting to report there," he said, releasing my hand so I could serve myself a heaping portion of food, "I've taken up my studies at Highcastle's Royal Conservatory,"

I turned to frown at him, the food forgotten.

"But you love Oxford," I said, puzzled. Xavier made a gallant attempt at a nonchalant shrug, but I didn't miss the way his eyes searched the ballroom. I realized with a sinking feeling that there was a reason Edward was in attendance as well. Xavier hated to be the bearer of bad news, while Edward seemed to delight in it. The two of them being present meant that whatever they had to tell me was bad enough that Xavier couldn't deliver it himself, but had to be there to soften the blow.

"What's the matter?" I asked, setting down the plate I'd been filling, my appetite forgotten.

"Nothing's the matter!" he replied, his smile not quite reaching his eyes.

"Did you get kicked out of Oxford?" I whispered. This time Xavier laughed in earnest.

"Heavens no! I leave the expulsions to you, Libby," he said, seizing me by the hand again, "Now please, I'd much prefer a dance with you rather than an interrogation,"

"You're not fooling me, Xavier Marks-Whelan," I grumbled, "You know I'll find out,"

"Infer what you will," he shrugged, as we waited for the dance to end, "But I'd much rather hear about how you landed yourself as a part of the Season,"

"You can thank cousin Ella for that," I said, as he lined me up for a polonaise, "For it was certainly none of my doing,"

"You should have seen mother's shade of puce when she got word of your expulsion," Xavier chortled, as the music started up. This time it was my smile that didn't reach my eyes. Why had he been back in Draughton and not at university when I'd been kicked out of Hargrove? There was definitely something he wasn't telling me.

We moved through the steps of the dance while I described my first month at the palace, pausing only when we switched partners. I danced with two men I didn't recognize before I landed on a third that I did.

"You certainly seem to be enjoying yourself," Andrew said, glancing over at where Xavier was dancing with Sarah Thornbury.

"I haven't seen him in months, of course I'm enjoying myself!" I said, before we broke apart and Xavier was returned to me.

"Ella has some stiff competition," Xavier said, casting a glance towards Sarah.

"They're all terribly beautiful," I said, "But there isn't much going on in their heads,"