Chapter 11

I stare down at the address Klaus had texted me before glancing back up at the abandoned warehouse. I sighed before walking inside. There I found Klaus surrounded by five coffins. One was open, and I assumed it to be Elijah. He traced the frame of the coffin before grabbing the lid.

"I suppose, brother, you have been reunited with our family," he says softly before closing it. He stares down at it for a second before turning to the loaders. "Put him with the others. We leave town tonight."

The others... His family. He had really daggered all of his siblings and killed his mother. How awful of him. I knew he was cruel, but that was just insane. His own blood lay cooped up simply because he likes to be in control. Sensing my presence, he spun on his heel, smiling at my appearance.

"You actually came back," he rose his eyebrows in surprise. "So... Did you make it in time?"

"I did," I nodded. "And I told you I would come back. You were wrong to doubt me."

"My apologies, love, but due to our previous encounters, I think I had every right to be a bit skeptical."

I only rolled my eyes, stepping around him. I watched as his family has loaded up into the back of a van. He must have no humanity left in him. I could never hurt my family or betray them like he had done to his own.

"So what are we doing now?" I asked. "You're family is in storage, you've broken your curse, and you've pretty much enslaved me. What now?"

"All will be explained in time once we get out of the wretched town," he ignored my question. He grabbed my arm carefully and escorted me to the car. I was too tired to push him away. I climbed into the front seat before dozing off.

•••

"Madeline," Klaus' voice woke me. I peeled my eyes open to look at him. "Wake up. I need some company or I shall go insane."

"You already are insane," I grumbled, straightening up in my seat. Glancing out the window, I saw a sign that welcomed us to Tennessee. "Tennessee? What are we doing here?"

"You'll see," he shook his head. "I have a question. It's been bothering me since I have seen you. How are you even here? Your father was a werewolf. You shouldn't be alive."

"I'm not a hybrid, if that's what you're asking. I guess my mother was disloyal to my father just as yours was to Mikael," I shrugged. I noticed him flinch at the name. "You're still afraid of him?"

"The only man I believe can kill me. Of course I'm afraid of him," Klaus answered. "He's tracked me for centuries. He's gotten so close, too."

"Like New Orleans?" I questioned.

"How do you know about that?"

"You're going to get mad, but I wanted revenge. Mikael found me after I was turned, assuming I'd turned for you and you were close by. He soon found that you were unaware of my existence, and we wanted to lure you out to be killed. We searched for centuries before we got a lead in New Orleans...."

•••

I stood behind a tree, watching for him. I quickly spotted him walking up to the governor's house. He stopped once he spotted a young slave being drilled by a whip in the back. He yelled at the man to stop, but he did not comply. Instead he resorted to killing the man. I stared in amazement as he took the boy into his arms and began to comfort him, even name him. My heart swelled up in my chest as I could once again see the compassionate man I had once loved. I knew that I couldn't allow Mikael to kill him. He was still in there somewhere. Perhaps the years would change him back to the Klaus I had known. I ran off, telling Mikael it was merely a dead end.

•••

"About ten years later, we received word that you were indeed in New Orleans. When Mikael was unable to kill you, he realized my deceit. He swore to kill me, and so I ran," I explained.

"You and Mikael were allies?" He asked and I could see the anger flash in his eyes. "You really do loathe me, don't you?"

"Yes, Klaus," I confirmed. "You ruined everything. You broke my heart, and I despise you for it."

"You once told me that you could never bring yourself to forgive someone who wasn't truly sorry. I just want to tell you that I honestly regret what I have done to you and your brother."

"It's a little too late for that," I snapped.

"Better late than never," he mumbled. We began to pull off onto a side road, and I furrowed my brow at him. A small farm house came into view and Klaus stepped out of the car.

"What are you doing?" I asked in confusion.

"Business. Are you coming or are you planning to sit and pout in the car?"

"Screw you," I sneered, grabbing the door handle. I threw the door open and stomped ahead of him. A blonde girl stood out on the front porch. I had no idea what Klaus wanted, but I assume he wants in that house. "Excuse me. We're a little lost, and I was wondering if I could use your phone by any chance?"

"Don't you have a cellphone?" She asked rudely, causing me to tense up. I hated when people were rude to me.

"Dead," I faked a laugh as I pulled it out of my pocket. I stared deep into her eyes, waiting for her next move. She hesitantly walked towards the door.

"You can use it, but I'll bring it out here to you."

"I thought you country folks were supposed to be more trusting," Klaus appeared by my side. She turned back to see the new voice.

"I'm from Florida," she rolled her eyes.

"Ah, that explains it," he nodded before rushing towards her. "Now show me some southern hospitality, sweet pea."