3. Orders

White light shoots from their hand

White light shoots from their hand. I shield and shut my eyes, but it's too late. The glare of their light echoes in my eyes, washes the world from around me. Blinded, I scramble back, but one of them comes above me. He yanks my arms back and jerks me to my feet. I blink-blink-blink—try to force my eyes to adjust. My vision is hazy and my eyes sting, but focusing on the blurred outline of my dresser, I lift my foot against it, push, tip us back. He slams against the floor with a groan and I tumble on top of him, wincing as my full weight presses against my wrists. The dagger slips from my hold.

"Come on, you can't deal with a little non-magic?" the other one taunts.

The one that holds me rolls us until my stomach is pressed against the floor. He straddles me from behind as his partner's footsteps tap around us. I writhe, scream, kick, but a punch between my shoulder blades cuts my fight. The pain shoots to my limbs, echoes with each pulse.

He presses my hands against the floor. "Hurry and take the sample!"

His partner's black boots step into a stream of light coming in from outside. He kneels down and brings his face close to mine. I gasp.

"Surprised to see me?' Lachlan says, waving hello with the knife in his hand. I am. I went to school with him. He Crossed three years ago, and had gone on to do missionary work. No doubt the one above me is Perry, his brother. They're twins and inseparable, but whereas Lachlan Crossed, Perry is a non-magic.

Lachlan hauls in a deep breath as if to savor the scene. A smile twists onto his lips. Sadistic pleasure darkens his blue eyes. "I was told I'd get a pretty penny for you."

He touches the curved tip of his knife onto my skin. On contact, three diamonds on the black handle illuminate a faint blue glow. He grins. "She's pure."

He doesn't mean a virgin, as Caleb made sure of that. But I'm pure in that I haven't Shared— haven't used from someone's magic.

The floorboards outside groan. Lachlan's head whips around to the sound. A minute of silence and nothing.

"What was that?" Perry asks, his voice shaky. "Is someone there? Maybe you sh-should ch-check?"

"It's nothing, you're spooked. Let's grab her and go."

Go. The word churns in my stomach, sprouts images of dead non-magics, innocents bled dry. I can't let them take me. I'll die if they do.

I haul in a breath. Scream until I'm out of air. Hope it's enough to catch someone's attention. Somewhere. Anywhere. Anyone.

Lachlan brings his face close to mine, brushes blond strands from his face, his thin lips curled to a smile as he takes in my screams and pleas for help. "I hope you said your goodbyes to Caleb."

The name stabs at my heart. Caleb. His mother is missing, most likely kidnapped by monsters like Lachlan and Perry. Now he'll lose me, too.