Chapter 41

Chapter 41

We sat there for what could’ve been hours. We probably did. Eventually our cries had subsided and we were left in our own silence, the only sound coming from the rain as it hit the window, streaming down the glass and leaving patterns were the faint light from the evening hit the walls. 

It was fitting, that it was raining. It would’ve been a cruel irony for the sun to be out, shining brightly onto the house that held such pain and grievances. Instead, though were were graced with dark gray clouds and a rain that flooded the ground. It was anything but calm,but at the same time it was one of the most calming things I had seen. 

Draco and I sat there on the bed, curled up into each other’s arms without any intention of letting go. Occasionally he would cough, the sound muffled as he hid his face in his shoulder, but I could feel his chest convulse and shudder as it wracked itself out of his body, painful and sore and bloody. All I could do was hold him closer and hope that someone up there took pity on me and didn’t take him just yet, that I would get to be with him at least a little while longer.

He said it could be a month till it happened. But I could also be a day, and with the luck that we have had in the past I would estimate that the longest we would have would be a week. Maybe half. It was an awful thing to think, but our track record with such things seemed to be holding strong. I hid my face in his shirt, taking notice of the smaller things I had neglected before. The fabric was soft, the smell that lingered on it not his completely his own but it still had traces of him in it. His body, while still in shape from his time playing quidditch had softened slightly, leaving him leaner and more comfortably to lean into than he had been in years past. 

His head was resting on my shoulder, just near the crook of my neck. I could feel his breath against my skin, feeling warm against the cold air that surrounded us in the room. But I felt warm. We had gathered the blankets around us, making our own small cocoon that could shield us from a small part of reality and leave us in our own world, just for a little while. The thought, despite everything else, made me smile.

“Draco..” I mumbled quietly, and his head lifted from where it was rested comfortably on my shoulder. His expression was sleepy, and I felt that if I had not spoken to him he would have passed out from exhaustion in minutes. Dying, apparently, was no peaceful journey. Books always made it sound so peaceful in the end- I recently have found out that books lie.

He looked at me curiously, letting out a quiet yawn. I smiled weakly as he lifted a hand to wipe at his eyes. “What is it?” He asked softly, and I adjusted my body so I was facing him, instead of leaning into him.

“I should go... I need to let Sirius know I’m staying with you.” I mumbled quietly, watching him quietly to gauge his response. He paused for a moment, as if mulling something over before he sighed.

“You should go home.” He murmured, holding up a hand to stop me when I made to protest. “Just for the night, Potter. You can come again as soon you like tomorrow- I’ll be fine through the night.” He said gently, letting his hand cup my cheek gently. “I won’t leave you without saying goodbye.”

“Promise?” It seemed childish to ask that of him, and I know dying wasn’t exactly something he had under his control- But it would at least put part of me at ease. When he nodded, I couldn’t help the small smile that appeared on my face. The bed creaked as I moved forward, wrapping my arms around him in a small hug. The smile only widened when I felt his arms wrap around my back, his head resting on my shoulder.

“I’ll be right here when you get back.” He said quietly as he let me go, pressing a soft kiss to my forehead before helping me off the bed, his hands resting gently on my waist until he absolutely had to let go. The floor was cold underneath me, and my legs ached, having been curled up for such a long amount of time. I was picking my coat up off the floor when I felt his arms slide around my waist against, his back pressing into mine as I stood straight. His lips brushed my neck gently, and I sighed contentedly as I leaned back into him, closing my eyes.