Chapter Twenty Three : Castle of Midnight

The carriage halted before the most enchanting castle in whole of Vamparia, the Castle of Midnight or the royal palace. The castle radiated at the middle of the night with its unearthly glow. The night gardens around it with flowers of various variety shone gold and silver when the clock struck twelve.

Rose took in her surroundings and it was even better than the fairytale stories she had read in books. The unusual big slight golden moon that threw its rays from behind the longest tower's cupula along with the twinkling stars embedded like patines on the dark sheet of night sky. The curious child in her was woken up, she wanted to run around in the gardens because never had she ever been mesmerised as she was now by this place.

She was so lost that she didn't even notice when Henry held his hand out for her to step down. He knew that she would like the place and therefore he brought her here. He got the hold of her hand by himself and helped Rose step down.

"Do you like this place?" He asked.

"Yes." She said instantly then realised how curious she sounded and her cheeks reddened.

Henry's face lit up and he smiled at her cuteness.

Leading her to the interior of the palace, he noticed her staring around her in awe like a small child. Adorable, he thought.

When she stepped in, her mouth was agape. 'Is this a Cinderella castle?' she thought. The lights and a large crystal chandelier illuminated the interior. The decor inside was beyond praise. If she wasn't the wife of King, she would have never been able to visit such a place.

"Hey there, cousin. We meet again." There came in a man with a flirtatious smile who looked the same age as Henry did. His sea green eyes had a mischievous tint to it and his light brown hair was slightly out of place adding to his looks. His attire was fine except it lacked the tidiness with which it should be worn. Nevertheless, he looked good with his features.

"It's good to see you too, Nigel." Henry spoke in his disinterested tone.

"Yeah, I know you are always excited to meet me." The man named Nigel said.

"No, I am not." Henry said, lazily eyeing Nigel.

"I know you are." Nigel chuckled. Suddenly, he stopped chuckling and his gaze was set on Rose who stood there like a lost little girl in the middle of chaos.

"And who this beautiful might be?" He confidently strode towards her, taking her hand in his and place a gentle kiss.

"Allow me to introduce myself.." Nigel spoke in his fake velvety voice but was soon cut off by Henry, "No, you need not." He slightly pushed his 'all the girls' boy' cousin back by getting hold of his shoulder and continued, "This is Nigel, my cousin."

"What's up?" Nigel grinned at Rose.

"The substitute King of Vamparia. He handles the Kingdom in my absence." Henry finished.

"You forgot to add 'better looking' king." He winked at Rose.

"That need not to be said." Henry growled.

"Isn't it obvious?" Nigel flashed his charming smile.

"No, it isn't." Henry calmly shook his head.

"Alright, alright enough of my praise." Nigel raised his hands defensively.

"So, what your sweet name might be, frumoasa?" Nigel supplicated.

"Rose." She said softly.

"My wife, the Queen." Henry pulled her close, gently by her waist.

Queen? He never accepted her as a queen before, she remembered the way he had threatened her how he would acknowledge her after 'that' incident between them.