Chapter 29

Today was the first day back for training. 

Four woke us up around seven o'clock. We seemed to be having a late start. But I was glad. I couldn't get to sleep that night, I couldn't stop thinking about why Eric had said what he had said. About 'they're not your's to take'. 

I got up out of bed sluggishly. I put on a tank top and some running shorts. I didn't know how people here wore tight jeans all the time, how are you meant to fight or run in those? Although I do understand that they are very protective. So when jumping off of trains or buildings you don't get any cuts. I then put on my long sleeve Dauntless jacket. 

I went to the bathroom and put my hair up in its usual ponytail. Then I put a tiny bit of mascara on. Just to 'brighten' things up. Mascara had always made my eyes stand out. 

I made my way down to the Training Arena with Molly, Drew, Emma and Peter. They were their own kind of gang. They were the tough and brute ones. But I guess I was a person that tended to fit in anywhere. Seeing as I was Divergent. 

We arrived. We were the first people there. In fact, no one was there. Not even Four. 

I then heard two hushed voices coming from around the corner. They seemed to be having a disagreement. 

But as soon as I heard them they stopped. They must've heard the others talking. 

The two owners of the hushed voices walked around the corner. It was Four and Eric. What is he doing here? I thought he came to rank us... And that is usually towards the end of training... 

I was feeling a little worried. Either we were being ranked from day one of stage two or something serious had occurred. 

More initiates started piling into the Arena chatting lively and freely. They came towards where we were standing, with Four and Eric in front of us. 

They had definitely had an argument, you could totally tell the both of them were fuming. Eric had his fists clenched, looking as if he was ready to punch Four. 

Four then stepped forward, "Welcome to Stage Two of your training. Congratulations, you've made it this far.... Stage Two will consist of accuracy and aim. Oh and learning how to use a gun and throw a knife". 

Eric then stepped forward, "But for today's session we will bring the focus back to combat. Today you will be fighting each other again, but no one will be ranking you. Think of it as revision". 

Four took a deep breath in, he too looked like he was about to punch Eric. 

"But don't be worried. In these fights conceding is allowed. Think of today as a fun filled practice" Four lifted the energy. He must've been able to read our body language. After what Eric had said we were all pretty worried. 

"There will be seven fights going on between all of you at the same time. Four and I will be walking around from fight to fight as well. Lunch will be our only break today. If you are not fighting you are allowed to watch other fights, but you are not allowed to leave the Arena" Eric followed on. "Understood?" he questioned, confronting the crowd in front of him. 

We all nodded shyly. 

"Ok! Matisse and Peter; Mat One. Julia and Meg; Mat Two. Al and Edward; Mat Three. Amy and Eliza; Mat Four..." 

I looked at Amy, stunned and scared, while Eric continued to read out the names. I didn't want to fight my best friend. We didn't even go over to a mat. We just stood there, looking at each other. 

"Ladies, Mat Four is over there" Eric said quietly as he came right up to us, hinting to where Mat Four was. Bending down a little so it was only us who could hear him. 

I then turned to look at him. "But we are friends" I protested. 

"Yeah. I dont wanna hurt Lize" Amy joined in as well. 

"You know what..." Eric whispered. "I don't give a shit if you two are friends. You will do as I say and fight". 

We both looked at him pleadingly. But I knew none of that would work around here. 

"C'mon Amz, let's go" I said as I grabbed her arm and pulled her towards the mat. 

"We'll let each other get a few kicks and punches in when they watch our fight. But when they aren't watching, we'll just pretend. Ok?" I stated. 

"Yep, sure thing" Amy replied sounding nervous. 

Amy and I fought playfully. And when Eric came around the first time she let me punch her in the face. Eric watched on impressed, then he walked away. We laughed at each other for the rest of our fight until Four came around. This time I let Amy pin me down and punch me. Four looked impressed, then he moved on. 

Five minutes later we were approached by Molly who said we could stop. It looked like Molly would be fighting someone on our mat. I glanced behind her and saw Christina, looking small and scared. 

While getting off of the mat I walked to Christina and told her not to be worried, for she could always concede if things got bad. 

Amy and I got a drink then ended up watching Christina and Molly fight. 

After a while of watching Christina get beat up, Molly asked her whether she wanted to stop. 

Just before Christina could reply, Eric spoke up. 

"No, you will not be stopping". 

Molly and Christina just looked at him, a little confused. 

"Continue" he said softly. But it was a soft voice that made you want to go hide somewhere in a closet, and never come out. 

They continued to fight. Christina continued to get beaten up. Finally she was knocked to the ground and she started inching her way away from Molly, holding her hand out. "Stop, stop... stop" she said breathlessly. 

"You need to stop?" Eric asked. I wasn't sure where he was going with this. But Christina was bleeding a lot. From her nose and her mouth. She just looked up to Eric and nodded. You could tell she was scared, as to what he would do. But he did something quite unusual. 

"Ok. Let me give you a hand" he said. 

I looked at Amy confused as hell. What the hell is he doing? 

I looked at Christina. Hoping she wouldn't grab his hand. I could just feel that something bad was going to happen.

She looked up at him and grabbed his hand. Nodding at him in thanks as she stood up. 

"Alright, lets everyone take a break!" he yelled out to the rest of us. 

"Follow me" he then continued. 

We all followed him and Christina to the infirmary. They disappeared inside and re appeared five minutes later. All of the blood was gone from her face. 

They continued down the hall, expecting us to follow. Eric then put his arm around Christina. I kind of felt a little jealous as to why he was being so caring towards her. I then looked ahead and saw where we were headed and instantly my stomach dropped. 

We were at the Chasm...

As they approached the bridge crossing the Chasm, Eric asked her whether she felt better. He still had his arm around her. 

And just as Christina replied with, "Yeah, I'm fine",

he swung her over the ledge.