Chapter Fifty-Five ۞ Spies

It wasn't too far away. The jagged valleys that had the color of obsidian was in sight. It was such a huge contrast when comparing it to the bright, callous sands of the Golden desert. Valeriana felt the relief flood into her. After having to sit on the saddle for too long, her backside was starting to send waves of pain up her spine. Thank the gods they finally arrived!

"Isn't it a big coincidence?" Gavin said aloud. "Our destination happens to be the same place."

"This can't be related to the strange behavior the twin-tailed lions are exhibiting, can it? Like what your father said, I mean." Valeriana thoughtfully concluded, urging her horse to stop as they stood atop a small hill.

"You're learning to assume."

"Is that an insult?" Valeriana
glared at him, her hold on the reigns of her horse tightening. She had learned to maneuver it somehow as they went along, though very clumsily. She insisted on knowing how to ride a horse. Though the progress was small, she had grown comfortable over time.

"No." Corvan said. "I'm just saying you no longer think stupidly."

"With how things went for the past few months, you don't think a girl would know how to read between the lines? I ain't that stupid." She rolled her eyes.

"So you admit you are."

"Shut it, prick!" The current fifth fumed. "I'm just slow at comprehension since I can't really wrap my head around things so well! But seriously, that's just because it's hard to believe at times! You should know I haven't even stayed here for longer than a year. Gimme a break."

"Enough bickering, you two." Gavin said, clicking his tongue as he gave the two a smile. "It is the right decision to have tagged along. With you two nicking at each other's throat the entire time, I doubt we would've progressed if it weren't for my--"

"Don't get cocky." Corvan snapped at him.

He held up his hands and shrugged. "As you wish. Though I hardly call that being cocky. It is more of stating a fact."

"Anyhow. I do not think we can approach the valley so carelessly like this. If this is really a hideout of a thieves, then no doubt there'll be a lookout." Corvan said. "Not to mention we'll have to find where this lion's mouth is."

"Right." Valeriana agreed.

"How do we proceed surreptitiously then? The desert is such an open field, it is futile trying to hide."

"Can't you summon Avaro or something?"

"And how useful will that be?"

"Oh, come on! It'll be like a VIP entrance with a tour guide." She rolled her eyes. "Who else knows these valleys better than a native?"

"Valeriana makes sense." Gavin nodded agreeingly.

"For the first time." Corvan added. "How surprising."

"Can we just get this done already for Pete's sake!" She exclaimed. "Enough with me being called stupid. I'm tired of that!"

"If you say so." Corvan dismounted his horse after that and took out a knife from his pocket. "I will need to open up a connection with Avaro once more. It has been long since my last summoning."

"You're gonna cut yourself again? Ouch."

Up until then, Valeriana could not handle the sight of anyone cutting themselves.

Corvan opened his palm and traced the skin with a small pressure, not even flinching as the blood welled up from the crack he made. There were lines there that were remainders of old wounds. It was unthinkable how many times he needed to do this just to be able to call his familiar.