⎡17⎦

❖ ❖ ❖

❖ ❖ ❖

When my eyes opened the next morning, the realization of what day it was hit me like a speeding Hogwarts Express. It was officially my 13th birthday! 

Slipping out of bed as to not wake Astoria, I headed down to the Great Hall. As I walked through the doors, I felt something grab my legs and lift me up into the air. I let out a shriek as the ginger twins picked me up and brought me over to the Gryffindor table. They slid me into the seat and everyone exclaimed,

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAZEL!"

"Thanks, guys!" I exclaimed. 

Turning to the twins I said, "This better not happen next year."

They both looked at each other.

"You know Freddie. Hazie here had a good idea," George said to his twin, nudging him with his elbow.

"You're absolutely right Georgie. Let's do this every year!" Fred replied.

I rolled my eyes and turned back to the gifts on the table, grabbing the small box to my right. From the tag, I could decipher that it was from the twins. Completely forgetting about last year's incident, I opened up the present only for it to explode confetti in my face. 

Jumping back and letting out a scream, my jaw dropped from the surprise. There was howling of laughter from everywhere, including a few giggles the Head Table.

"And you did it again," I sighed as I looked into the box. There wasn't anything in it. I bit my lip prepared for another blow of confetti but it never came so I looked at the twins and raised my eyebrows.

"Your present's not in there," they said in unison.

"Our gift is-" Fred started.

"We are going to teach you" George continued.

"How to be a great beater!" they said together.

I gaped at them.

"SO I GOT CONFETTIED FOR NOTHING?!" I screamed. 

Everyone began to laugh again. I sighed and opened the next on the table from Ron. More Chocolate Frogs. I smiled.

"Thanks Ron. You know me well." I said to him while opening a Chocolate Frog package.

"Or 'elcome 'azel" he said with food in his mouth.

"Honestly Ronald, swallow! You never swallow!"

People started laughing again and Ron looked down sheepishly, his ears going red. I stood up to go back to the Slytherin table.

"Wait, Hazel," Harry said before I could leave. I turned towards him. "This is stupid, but I forgot your birthday so..." He rummaged through his pocket and pulled out a Galleon, tossing it to me. "Buy yourself something."

I laughed, "Thanks, Harry!"

Turning away from the Gryffindor table, I headed back to the Slytherin table. As I took a seat next to my brother, his eyes remained glaring at the twins. 

"Again the Weasley's take me away from you! Again!" 

I laughed once more and grabbed the present he had sat down next to him. Inside, I found a Slytherin scarf. 

"You've been complaining all summer for one so voila!"

I smiled at the present and put it on loosely on my neck.

"Thanks, Jay"

"No problem kiddo." 

Picking up my head, I glanced around the Great Hall for Draco, but couldn't see him anywhere. With a touch of disappointment, I lowered my head and continued to eat my food. A few spoonfuls into my porridge, there was a screech of an owl over my head. As I glanced up, I saw two owls flying towards me. One was Errol and the other was Themis. Errol flew in and landed on the table with a thud, wings spread out. Themis however, landed gracefully on my shoulder. 

Once Errol readjusted himself, I fed them both toast and sent them off to the owlery. I picked up the present from Mrs. Weasley and unwrapped it. Inside were the sprinkled cookies she always made especially for me when I would come and visit the Weasley's when I was younger. My jaw dropped. About two dozen cookies sat in the box.

"Oh! Cookies!" James said reaching for the box. I swatted at his hand and moved away from him.

"They're my cookies!" I exclaimed taking one out and biting into it. I closed the box and kept it in my lap, making sure no one came near them.

I opened the next present from my father. It was a small box, but completely worth it. Inside was a pencil sharpener, but deeper inside the box was a pair of pearl earrings. There was a letter that read,

Dear Hazel,

I know it isn't much but I noticed that your pencils from the kit James gave you last year needed sharpening. I hope you like those earrings. Your mother wore them at our wedding. Have a wonderful day.

Love,

Dad

I placed the letter back into the box and looked down at all my presents with a large grin on my face.

. . .

Later that day during lunch,  I walked outside to find a place to eat. The weather was nice and I was determined to make the most of the warm weather before it disappeared for months. As I walked across the grounds, I noticed Draco sitting under a tree alone. Making my way over to him, I saw a long parcel in front of him.

"What's that Draco?" I asked, pointing to the parcel.

"This is your present Hazel," Draco said. I gave him a confused and shocked look. It was a very large present. Sitting down, I slowly unwrapped the parcel. Inside was a Nimbus 2001.

"Draco! I can't accept this! It's too expensive! I'm not even on the team" I said pushing it away from me.

"You must. And trust me. When Flint sees your arm, you are already guaranteed a spot on the team." He pushed it back. I gave him a hesitant look.

Draco lifted his hand and stuck out a pinkie. "Promise me you'll take it, Hazel."

I eyed his pinkie. The last time I had pinkie promised Draco was when we were little kids. The thought brought a smile to my face. With a sigh, I wrapped my pinkie around his. 

"I promise. And thank you, Draco. I love it," I told him, reaching over to give him a hug. 

What an amazing birthday.