Chapter 58- 5 Years, 9 Months, 5 Days

Whoa Baby

Chapter 58- 5 Years, 9 Months, 5 Days

"It's the oldest story in the world. One day you're seventeen and planning for someday. And then quietly and without you ever really noticing, someday is today. And that someday is yesterday. And this is your life." –Nathan Scott

I couldn't have been home alone for two minutes after putting my things down and taking off my shoes, sitting on the sofa, staring at the blank TV before I heard a frantic knock on the front door of my apartment. I quickly looked at the clock, shot up from my spot and quickly ran to the kitchen.

"Just a second!" I shouted, dumping my cup down the drain and rinsing it out. I hurry over to the front door, unlocking it and looking down to my little boy all bundled up in his winter attire. He looks up at me with giant smile on his face, cheeks rosy red from the cold, his blue eyes sparkling with energy. "Hey monkey! How was school today?" I exclaim, holding out my arms for him to run up and hug me. In a big embrace I squeeze him tightly, backpack on and everything.

"It was good. We played with chalk during recess and learned how to count by tens in math class." He tells me proudly, kissing my cheek afterwards. "Can I have a gummy snack please?" he asks sweetly, giving me a toothy smile.

"Go ahead." I chuckle, "Did you say thank you to Aunty Emma for bringing you home?" I remind him before he ran away, looking behind him to Emma standing there and watching us.

"He sure did, but I didn't get my kiss today." Emma frowns, leaning down and tapping her cheek. He giggles, reaching up on his toes to peck her cheek before running off and yelling thank you.

Colton, a smart kid, too smart for his age; and handsome, lovable, obedient, polite and outgoing. He's a great kid. You would never know by the way he acts or hearing him talk that he was brought up by two teenagers straight out of high school. People sometimes are surprised when they hear we were teenage parents to such a fantastic kid like Colton. Blue eyes like mine, if not prettier than mine. Dark hair like his father; everything else actually like JC. Like if you shrunk JC down to Colton's size they could be twins. Not a terribly bad thing though.

"Thanks for bringing him home for me today." I meant on the Emma as she closes the door behind her with her foot.

"No problem, any time. How was work? "She asks me as I usher her into the apartment.

"A little busy, but manageable." I reason, pulling out the lemonade from the fridge. "How many booger infested kids do you have in your classroom now?" I chuckle, filling up a couple of glasses.

"Three kids but I also had three absentees. You already got Colton to get his flu shot, right?" She asks me, looking hopeful.

"The first day Alice told me the pharmacy had them in stock. Got it over with when I could. I haven't seen her since. She's been working a lot." I tell Emma, pushing a glass of lemonade to her.

"Well working thirteen hours a day, yeah, I'd be pretty tired." She agrees, pulling her phone from her back pocket. "So how are things going with you?" She asks, glancing up at me from her phone.

"Not much. I just feel like I'm juggling a lot at once." I shrug, tapping my nail against the glass.

"Still feel like something is dangling over your head?" She wonders.

"All the time." I mutter. That was all we had to say about the matter. Brief, because Emma knows I stress about it all the time. "How's Liam doing?" I ask about her recent boyfriend. She's actually been with this guy longer than her previous boyfriends, and to be honest I like him the best.