Chapter 21: Guilt

"Guilt and no guilt: these were the worst things. The only thing worse than the guilt was the fear of getting caught."

- Elin Hilderbrand

Please Vote

Comment

And Follow me ...

............................................

Eleanor Pallos' POV

           I made my way back to the living room where JJ was still comfortably sitting. He was holding his wine glass which he serve himself, on his other hand, while the other was busy flicking the remote control. 

"What took you so long?" He inquired, without bothering to spare me a glance, with is eyes glued on the screen.

"I'm sorry. I just .." I stop as I don't know what's next to tell him. I couldn't find any alibi. My brain seems to froze. 

He puts down the remote on his side and he leaned his back against the back support of the couch. He leisurely sips his wine, as he crosses his legs. "How is he?" He asked momentarily, holding the stem of his wineglass, resting it on his thigh, while his other hand rested on the top of the couch support, while facing me. 

"Huh?" I almost croak stupidly as I stared at him in confusion. 

He smiled. "Nicolai Petropoulis. I know he's here." He shrugs his response. Then he straightened himself, placing the almost empty wine glass on the coffee table. Then he took something behind him. 

A necktie. 

Crap!

"This is his, right?" More like a statement. 

"Ye-yeah." I nodded sheepishly. "I'm sorry. He was drunk last night and he slept here." I explained feeling my cheeks burned in embarrassment.

"I understand, baby doll." He only chuckled. He's always the understanding man and I'm so grateful. And I felt that pang of remorse. 

"So he's in your room?" He ask in confirmation. I know it's no point of lying. 

"Yes." I confirmed.

"Go and fetch him out. I want to talk to him." He wave me off with a broad smile and I nodded, still feeling embarrass. I left him as soon as he turns his attention back on the screen.

...................................

"Yes, I was actually there during the awarding of the 2015 business tiger of the year." JJ explains to Nicolai. 

We were all sitting in the living room while Nico and me drinking our coffee and JJ with his wine. I'm sitting in between them while trying to just ignore their conversation. 

JJ's voice is too excited talking to him. I could sense the vivid enchantment in his voice while conversing to Nicolai. Nicolai still wears his impassive detach look in which JJ's seems to no care at all while he kept on blabbering how Nico phenomenally brought the IFIG on top after a long years in the industry. How the IFIG struggles to keep up floating.

And as I hear all this truth about him, how he became as the CEO of the IFIG based in Italy, I felt suddenly happy for him and proud. 

I know he's smart, but I never thought he would succeed by starting from scratch. 

After a while, a smile is slowly forming in Nico's lips. I could now see that he's relaxing with JJ's company.

"You know I have no doubt that Mr. Agnelli would sell his share since he doesn't have any siblings or relative to be his successor." I heard JJ said and I look at Nico. He was nodding his head in agreement.