Chapter One

A/N: This is the first chapter of the new and improved Ignite Me. I hope all returning reader enjoy it. Although a lot of the book will remain the same but better written, there will be changes in the plot as the story goes on. I also want to thank everyone who left comments about this rewrite on my page, and because of that I will be dedicating the first few chapters to said people.

Something feels different as Cole opens her eyes, staring up at the ceiling as she blinks. Her alarm has already gone off, but she doesn't move. She feels a strange sense of anticipation gnawing inside her chest. But there's nothing. Or at least there's nothing to wait for, her birthday isn't until the end of the year, and she can't think of anything else. She shuts her eyes to rest them, just a few more minutes and then she's going to get up. Just a few more minutes, just a little while longer. And the next thing she knows she's opening her eyes and her alarm clock tells her that she only has ten minutes to get to school. Not enough time, even if she were to run.

So she doesn't run, but she doesn't take her time either. She slips into a pair of ripped jeans and a faded old band t-shirt, falling on her face as she tries to pull her boots on. Luck is apparently not on her side because when she goes downstairs to make breakfast, she finds that the bread is expired and that Leo has drunk the last of the coffee. So no caffeine.

She slides on her jacket, it's a faded old denim jacket that's more than a size too big for her, but that's because it used to be Leo's. It's not the only castoff of his that she owns, but she likes it. She grabs her backpack, heading out the door, the front door slamming shut behind her.

It starts raining on her way to school though thankfully it's not too heavy, or at least not heavy enough to soak through her jacket. And like she predicted she's late for her first period English class. She doesn't bother making excuses, just silently handing her late slip over to Mr Mason. She shrugs off her jacket, her eyes scanning over the room as she waits for him to sign. It's only then that she notices the unfamiliar face at the back of the class, occupying the usually empty seat beside hers. So, this must be Isabella Swan, the chief's daughter. She's not what Cole was expecting or at least, or at least she doesn't look much like chief Swan. She's pretty though, maybe even beautiful and petite, it's obvious even as she's sitting down. She's even paler than Cole herself with long thick mahogany hair and warm chocolate brown eyes that take centre stage in her heart-shaped face.

Cole gives Mr Mason a nod of thanks as she accepts her slip. She offers her a sympathetic smile, the poor girl probably thought she was getting to sit alone. Almost everyone is staring at her or looking at her, and it doesn't take a genius to see that it's making her uncomfortable, it's not just her vivid red cheeks that give her away. Cole doesn't think her classmates are bad people, but the kind of focus they're giving to one person makes them seem not just boring like they've got nothing better to do, but it's also rude.

She shrugs off her jacket, making eye contact with Isabella as she drapes it over the back of her chair.

"Hey, you're Isabella, right?" Cole asks as she slides into the empty seat, dropping her backpack on the floor.

The other girl pauses for a moment, biting her lip. "I prefer Bella, actually," she corrects softly, getting a nod from Cole in response.

"Well, I'm Cole, and I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize for the just plain bad manners of our classmates," she says jokingly as she fishes her notebook out of her backpack.

"So, are they always this-" Bella trails off, liking she's trying to be diplomatic with her words, "this excitable?"

"Not usually, but when you live in a small town, nothing really happens. So, everything seems super exciting even if it's a small thing," Cole says, offering Bella a sympathetic look as their eyes meet. "Not that I'm saying you moving here doesn't matter or anything," she says stumbling over her words, there's something intense about making eye contact with such a pretty girl.