Chapter 23

This one will be longer.

A hand grabbed onto her shoulder, pulling her away from the tall guards. She stood against a man, troubled.

"What do you think you're doing, Andrew?"

A voice said to their right. Kira turned her head to see the scientist. His dark hair hanging by the side of his pale face. As always, his expression held no emotion. His dark Asian eyes void of any feeling, but held a glint of power.

"All you're doing is hurt this little kid. Don't you think that it's--"

The scientist narrowed his eyes, staring at the man's grayish eyes.

"Are you saying that you care for this girl?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

The man, Andrew, glared at his superior.

"Andrew, you work for me, therefore you must go along with my plans."

"Go along your plans?" His tone went a little high. "Why in the fucking world would I watch a girl get hurt?!"

"Maybe because you need money for your own daughter."

Andrew froze at the mention of his daughter.

"And there's nothing to be worried about, we're doing something different today."

Andrew barely heard the scientist, as he looked down at the girl next to her. A sweet, and innocent girl. Too innocent to get hurt, to be a guinea pig for these rotten scientists he had to work for.

It made him frown of how much she resembled his real daughter, or at least, how much she resembled her daughter before she was diagnosed with cancer.

Bright blue eyes, short brown hair.

It shook him, and that's what made him attached to her.

"You'll go into the chamber with her." The scientist said, leading the two.

"Sir, where are we going?"

He frowned in the inside.

"We're going to do a test."

"Test? What kind of test?"

Andrew frowned.

He hoped that his reflexes would be faster than light.

"You are to stand in a room with her. You have to pull a lever, that will drop a safe on her. The purpose of this test is to see if she is fast, or to see if there is an entity in her that actually obtains the gift. However, if the safe is about to hit her, you have to jump in and push her away. We are counting on you to save her, that is why you are chosen to be her guardian."

He had hoped that she wouldn't get hurt anymore.

No, he wished that she wouldn't get hurt, ever.

Like he used to wish for his own daughter, who had died the day after he passed himself. The day after their last test together.

* * *

"I always wanted to see you again."

He had dropped Jack onto the forest ground.

"But, ever since that last 'good night' you never came back."

"Who are you?" Kira asked, backing away as he slowly walked towards her.

He smiled, white teeth being displayed.