Chapter 39

(I recommend you play the music above while reading!! P.S, the song starts at 0.12

If you can't open the video, it's the song "Echo" by Jason Walker)

I gazed down at the glowing heart.  "So does that mean I can stay here in Neverland?"

"Not exactly..."

The sudden blissful feeling inside me had faded away. To think I can actually stay in Neverland is quite pointless. Everything in Neverland comes with a price, and it always involves the choice between life or death.

"What am I supposed to do with the heart if it's not gonna help me?" I asked, stuck on the idea that I am basically hopeless.

"But it will help you." Kathy said sincerely, her eyes giving an impression of trust. And I did trust her. I fully trusted her at that moment. If she says the heart will help me, then it will. Maybe it won't give me the privilege to stay on this island, but maybe it can still offer me something great.

"How so?" No harshness was in my voice as I asked her.

"The heart will allow you to keep your memories. For good."

The blissful feeling had suddenly struck me again. Yeah I still have to leave Neverland, but at least I won't leave the memories behind. The memories are too precious to simply let go of. Now that I know I can keep them, I am forever grateful.

"Really?" I smiled graciously.

"Yes. But, you still have to leave Neverland." She noted, her look giving off sympathy.

Then, I hugged her. I just felt relieved, as if a heavy load was lifted from my back. Being full of those negative thoughts about leaving and forgetting was just overwhelming. My life isn't the best, but hearing such good news makes me delighted that I have one less problem.

"It's okay. At least I get to keep my memories with me." I told her softly as I broke away from our embrace.

"Then what are you waiting for?" Kathy slightly smirked. I knew exactly what she wanted me to do.

The gold, glowing heart that was in my hands, was now transferred inside my chest. Surprisingly, no pain or discomfort was felt whatsoever as I pushed the heart inside me. The heart actually made me feel more alive than I already was, even without my powers.  And in that moment, I had finally taken off my necklace, well I practically ripped off the necklace from my neck, and threw it to the floor.

Oh what a relieving feeling.

"So what now?" I questioned everyone after the necklace had hit the floor.

Out of the blue, Peter had cleared his throat. Peter walked through the crowd of lost boys, going towards me. Kathy and Alexander stepped out of the way. When Peter was in front of me, he had an innocent smile on his face. It was like the world had gotten brighter at the time.

"Do you know why I brought everyone here?" Peter asked in wonder, his gentle tone audible.

"For breakfast?" I guessed. For the past three days, breakfast time is usually the only time Peter allows all the boys to go inside his tree house. That's the time where I make breakfast for the lost boys and we end up eating together as a family. Wow, I sound like a mother.

"No..." Peter trailed off, his dear smile still present. Seconds later, he held onto my hand and led me to sit on the couch. Nothing but open space and a fireplace was before me. Peter had walked off to line of lost boys, which I didn't notice until now. The three last people in line were Kathy, Alexander, and Peter.