Chapter 2:1

I reached into the backseat of my car and pulled my bag from the floorboard. The early morning sun had been hidden by dark, snow-heavy clouds, and the air was growing colder by the minute.

"You can't do this, Ezra. It's suicide!" Avery's voice was near hysterical.

I shut the door and turned to her. I didn't know what to say. How could I tell her everything that I'd kept so buried in myself that I'd only just realized what it meant? How could I tell her that I was doing this for her, because I loved her?

I dropped the bag at my feet and I took her hands into my own. They trembled a little as I watched her take a deep breath.

"Ezra, I just lost my father, I..." she hesitated, gripping my hands hard. "I can't lose you, too."

She started crying again. I hugged her tight, wrapping my arms around her like at I had earlier this morning. It was funny. I'd spent years sending letters to her, thinking of one day holding her like this and now, I feared that this might actually be the last chance.

I took a slow breath, inhaling her strawberry-scented hair, as I watched the first flakes of snow fall around us. "I have to do this. I can't let Nathan jerk us around like puppets. He acts like the Quadriad is his to control."

She pulled away from me. "That has nothing to do with this."

"It has everything to do with it." I stepped back from her. "I won't stand by and watch you be forced to marry someone you don't love. If I can pass the test, then you'll be free to be with whoever you want. It wouldn't have to be me."

Avery stalked away from me, only to turn back with her hand clutched at her sides.

"But you don't have any power!" she screamed. "How do you expect to complete the test without any Talent? You're going to die if you go through with this!"

I stared at her, as it dawned on her what she'd said. I bent down and picked up my bag. "I've got to get ready."

"Wait, Ezra," she said, "I didn't mean it like that."

I turned back to the house, as Poe glided down from the gutter to sit on my shoulder. I wouldn't look back, I couldn't. I didn't want her to see the tears in my eyes.