Area 51

'888' is a scene break

"When a star goes supernova, the explosion emits enough light to overshadow an entire solar system, even a galaxy. Such explosions can set off the creation of new stars. In its own way, it was not unlike being born." – Todd Nelson

I woke up on the damp, yet crumbly floor with only one thought in my mind: kill.

I jolted up immediately at the word that seemed to be endlessly repeating itself in my conscience. I didn't know why it was there, and actually, now that I thought about it... I didn't know much of anything. All I knew was that half of me was determined to kill, and the other half of me really didn't want to.

I stood up from the rusty-red soil and dusted myself off, noticing that I was in a small area in a red cavern. I gulped as I spun all the way around, not seeing a way out, only a metallic black arch in front of me that seemed modern and out of place within the rock walls. I felt sweaty now, not only from the moisture building up in the room, but I felt a heat that was unexplainable— like I had just walked through fire.

Only then did I notice I had a paper in my hand.

I stared down at it a moment, puzzled. How did I miss it before? I opened the worn yellow parchment slowly and read its contents.

Sometimes in life, the choices you have to make aren't as simple as good and bad. Sometimes, you have a bad choice, and another bad choice, and it's up to you to decide which one is less bad.

Once upon a time, I made one of these choices. I broke a law or two... or 26.

You see, I did do these things, but I don't completely remember it. Everyone else does. Everywhere I go around here, people look at me like I've either performed a miracle, or created chaos. Now I've done it again, and this time, I refuse to forget a single moment.

I hope that my future self is reading this, because I have to remember. There are a million fates depending on it, including mine. Yours. Ours. All you have to do is walk through the archway front of you. I can't explain how it works here, but it will tell you everything.

So this, my future, memory-wiped self, is the story of how I found love and lost it. This is the story of how I broke a million rules. This is the story of stars, secrets, and sacrifice.

This is the story of how I became.

I folded it again and stared at the arch in front of me, and back to the paper. I stood back a moment, and walked all around the arch, but there was nothing else but black metal. I stepped through.

888

1000 years earlier/later, 2015

There were two things in life I was certain I knew everything about.

The first was Doctor Who. I had started watching it with my best friend Deevia in high school, and ever since my life completely turned around, I still watched it into my early adult years because it was the only piece of myself I felt I had left from my normal life.

The second was Area 51—the thing that completely turned my life around at the age of 19. Area 51 was in fact a center to test and experiment on alien objects. However, while we were government employees, it was technically a family business. Now I'm 25, and over the years so far I've seen enough to believe that anything is possible, and that's not always a good thing. Maybe I've lost hope in other worlds, but I've learned so much working here, so much about how the little things of the world work. I've come to truly love every science there is, and gained a sense of wonder I was sure I would never let go of.