The Eleventh Hour (pt 2)

"What is this place, where am I?" The Doctor asked, walking fast down the street with Amy and I on either side of him.

"Leadworth." Amy responded.

"Where's the rest of it?"

"This is it."

"Is there an airport?"

"No."

"A nuclear power station?"

Amy scoffed. "No."

"Even a little one?"

"No."

"Nearest city?"

"Gloucester, half an hour by car."

"We don't have half an hour. Do we have a car?"

"Does it look like we have a car?" I asked him. I was still wearing some nice boots with a little heel in it from 51, and they were just starting to hurt.

"Well, that's good! Fantastic, that is. We've got 20 minutes to save the world, and I've got a post office." He remarked angrily, motioning to the building behind him. "And it's shut! WHAT is that?" He ran to the small patch of water.

"It's a duck pond." Amy responded, following the Doctor towards the small pond.

The Doctor stopped and peered over it before turning back to Amy. "Why aren't there any ducks?"

"I don't know, there's never any ducks!"

"Then how do you know it's a duck pond?" he asked her.

"It just is! Is it important, the duck pond?"

"I don't know," the Doctor began stumbling backwards, clutching his chest. "Why would I know?" he stammered, falling to the grass, still clutching at his hearts. "This is too soon," He grunted. "I'm not ready, I'm not done yet."

I wasn't completely sure while watching the show, but now that I was really here, I knew he was talking about his regeneration cycle. He was the last of the Time Lords, a human-looking alien species that regenerates every cell in their body to stay alive for thousands of years on end. I could only imagine how much pain that was, and how it must feel— but unfortunately, I didn't have time to imagine, because the sky grew darker.

Amy looked up. "What's happening? Why's it going dark?"

We stood there, staring at the sun, which was now turning grey-ish, until the light returned to normal and the sun became an orange that looked like it was just a colored part of the clouds. Instead of a bright star, it just looked like smoke.

"Nothing, you're looking at it through a force-field. They've sealed off your upper atmosphere, now they're getting ready to boil the planet." He stood up, while Amy gaped at him, her eyes popping open in shock.

I tilted my head at the sun, wondering. "How do you seal off an upper atmosphere with a plasma field if it's, like, four percent water vapor?"

Amy was frustrated. "They're going to burn the planet, and you're concerned about how?"

"It's not plasma," the Doctor answered me, before I could respond to Amy.

In front of us, the villagers began walking out into the green with their cell phones and cameras, speculating the transformed sun. "Oh, and here they come, the human race! The end comes, as it was always going to— down to a video phone!" The Doctor snapped.

But unlike the Doctor, I knew this was coming in more ways than one. Not only did I know the exact events that were about to unravel due to having seen it on a TV screen— I knew that they were going to take out their phones even if I hadn't watched the show.