19

edited chapter

edited chapter

Chapter 19: Liar, Liar. Witch on Fire

{D. K}

Dakota knew that eventually Klaus would find out that Elena was still alive, she knew he'd grow angry and maybe kill her or maybe bite her and leave her to suffer and die. "I've found it." Gloria's hands hovered over a large grimrore, plenty of lit white candles surrounding it on a small table.

"Well, where is it?" Rebekah pressed. After the little shopping trip, she'd grown used to the clothing style that took place in the twenty first century. She didn't seem to mind showing off her legs.

"Doesn't work like that honey, I get images not direct locations." Gloria scoffs before continuing with her discovery. "I saw a girl with her friends."

"A dead girl with dead friends."

       "Look, I need time to go back in and try to get more clues."

       Klaus leaned forward, placing some of his body weight on the edge of the table. "That's fine, I have time."

       "I understand that, but I need space too. You being so close is messing with my ju-ju." When the witch realized that Klaus wasn't going to move, she sent a pleading look to Dakota who was resting herself on the bar, the photo of her brother still on the counter beside a full bottle of scotch.

      "Yeah, let's do something to pass time. I'm hungry." Dakota sauntered over to Klaus, resting a hand over his neck and whispering in his ear. "I'll even let you pick who we eat."

      The hybrid gave in, his body absentmindedly leaning closer into her alluring scent for more bodily contact. Without another word, Klaus nodded leading the way to his car, Rebekah and Dakota following suit.

      It didn't take much for us to find the right one, a cocky red head with light blue eyes, her name was Joslyn but Dakota didn't care much for me that. She compelled her quickly to be quiet before sinking her sharp fangs into her pale neck. "You were hungry."

"I'm a stress eater," Dakota admits her teeth and lips stained by the crimson red liquid that her body yearned for.

Klaus chuckled, a blonde sat limply in his lap, she'd died minutes ago but her body still had blood and he didn't plan on letting her go until she was empty. "Rebekah tends to have that effect on people."

      Dakota laughed at the harmless joke, but the original vampire didn't seem to find it humorous. "Why are you both being so mean?"

      "I just feel bad for anyone who comes into your life, dear little sister, you're such a handful."

Rebekah's blue eyes were full of anger, with small flecks of hurt. "You're making me sound like a brat. I am not a brat."

"Over a thousand years of living with you, I beg to differ."

Dakota scoffed at Klaus, pushing her lunch on the ground. "Don't even start Nik, I've only spent an entire summer with you and I want to take a vervain bullet to the head." At the vivid comment, the blonde original burst into laughter. "Well, I need to go. I want to find some stuff on Shawn, see if anyone has any reports or patterns on his old habits."

Klaus let her go without a word, bypassing Rebekah's scrutinized glance. "You're just going to let her go?"

"I trust her."

"You're back," Gloria greeted, cleaning up the tables of the few empty shot glasses.

"Of course I'm back my dear witchy friend, you saw something and didn't tell Klaus. I would like to know what you saw."

Moving behind the bar, the mocha colored woman nodded subconsciously. "Like I said, I saw a girl and her friends. They were talking about Damon actually, it was quite peculiar."

Dakota rolled her eyes. "Of course dopplebitch and the wanna-be wonder women are talking about Damon. Apparently, Stefan and Elena are on a bit of a break because Stefan was helping Damon find me. Elena doesn't exactly like me, so it's to be expected that that Petrova offspring would be angry that her precious little man toy was looking for me."

Gloria sensed major hostility in Dakota's tone and rested a hand over her clenched fist to calm her down a bit, which thankfully worked. "Well, this necklace that the doppelgänger was wearing belongs to the Original witch and withholds its own power."

     "Awesome," Dakota dryly cheers. "—so what are you going to tell Klaus? He's not just going to let it go that easily, he said really wants that necklace."

     Gloria had a peculiar look on her face, her hands were shaking but she tried to hide them behind the bar, but Dakota noticed and her guard was put up. "I need that necklace, Dakota."

"Why?" She asked, trying to buy time before the witch did something irrational.

"I've been alive a long time, and it's bound to come back to me but when it does it's going to hurt. If you do anything to lessen that. The power of the original witch will be in the necklace, not much but enough to ease any pain to come to me."

     Dakota shook her head at Gloria, raising her hands in surrender. "Gloria, please don't do this."

     "I'm sorry."

     From deep within, Dakota could feel the other witches coming out to defend her. Their agreement was to protect eachother and since one of their own was defying that very law, they had no choice but to follow their vow.

     Gloria stopped mid-step, her eyes widening at the feelings of her lungs becoming constricted, air being ripped from them. Choked gasps came from her trying so desperately to gain air. By the law Dakota wasn't allowed to kill a witch, no matter the situation, if something happened she had to let the other witches take care of it or the deal would be broken. 

      A tear fell down her face as Dakota helped Gloria's quickly fading body to the ground, wiping a tear from under her mocha colored skin that was turning purple from the lack of oxygen. She couldn't stay any longer, watching a witch that she had watched over since birth go up in flames.

     Gloria betrayed her, yes, but there is sometimes honor in betrayal.