Chapter 90

Fawn tried to make Lainey promise she'd stay home that night before she went back home.

The night she knew Benjamin would face Ulysses Morrison for the first time in over six decades.

Lainey knew she was being stupid, but she couldn't make that promise. She wanted to be by his side.

To make sure he was safe.

It's stupid and reckless. Lainey knew it was and she knew she'd be risking her life.

But she loved Benjamin. And she would be by his side that night.

No matter what.

She placed a hand on Mom's ruby necklace as she stared at her reflection in her vanity mirror.

"I trust you, Fawn," she said quietly.

* * *

Fawn watched the sky as she rushed back home. Nightfall seemed to be quickly approaching. As if the universe itself was yearning to see the confrontation unfold at midnight.

Everyone was preparing to make their way to Benjamin's hideout when she returned home. Fawn took a good look at the people around her as they stood around silently and restlessly in the living room. Mama. Jules. Vivienne. Monica. Freya. Leah. Noxford. Ashleigh. She couldn't help but wonder if any of them wouldn't be here the following day.

It was scary.

Fawn never really thought about it until just now but these people were her friends. Even Vivienne. And she wouldn't want to see anything bad happen to any one of them. Even Vivienne.

She thought about Lainey. Fawn was almost tempted to use magic to keep her home because she refused to promise she would stay put.

She almost regretted that she didn't.

Almost.

But Lainey was her best friend in the world. Thinking of using magic against her was just as unbearable as harming the undead boy she loved.

"Welcome back, baby," Mama said to Fawn. She turned to the rest of the room. "Alright, everyone ready to move out?"

Simultaneously and unenthusiastically, they all said "yes".

Everyone was scared.

Everyone.

Even Mama.

"Let's go," Jules said quietly to everyone. "Freya, lead the way to Benjamin Crawford's hideout."

* * *

Benjamin was regretting leaving Lainey without at least telling her that he loved her one last time. Tonight could very well be the last time he ever see her. Maybe it was for the better; Benjamin was a danger to her life in more ways than one.

He stared at the darkening sky through the bay window at the hideout. In just hours he'd be face-to-face with Morrison again.

Just hours.

"You okay, Benji?"

He turned to see Joseph emerging from the door leading down to the basement.

Benjamin shrugged.

"All things considered," he responded quietly, facing the window again.

"You know it could be worse," Joseph said, standing next to Benjamin. "You could be facing the other psycho Morrison, Isabella."

To Benjamin's surprise, he grinned.

"I think I'd rather take my chances with Ulysses. . . . You know you don't have to do this."