Chapter 12

Stan looked around, to his left first and then his right. He shut off all the lights and walked out the door. He reached into the bushes where his golden suit was hiding. "Last trip and the tank will be full," he muttered to himself and left. Stan sure hoped the twins were in bed like when he checked on them not too long ago.

Dipper and Mabel were in bed, in fact, though the latter was the only one asleep. It had been nearly a week and a half since the boy played chess with Bill for the first time. Since then he'd been earning cash, buying ingredients, practicing his mastery of the supernatural and attempting to keep a healthy relationship with his family and friends. And spending time with Bill Cipher.

Waddles snored loudly, reminding Dipper of his wakefulness. The sun had just started to set, casting the room in a darkening orange haze. He wasn't close to tired. Maybe . . . I could do something important. For . . . Bill, he suggested to himself, cheeks turning a vibrant rosy red at the mention of the dream demon. A spark of flaming electricity shot through him, a fierce adoration that only built up after each encounter. Whenever the two met at night or during a doze, they would always play games and explore together. Every moment was a cause for enjoyment, making him savor the presence of the triangle. Dipper had become quite fond of Bill, consequently sleeping in later and later as the days went by. Mabel had worried for him, as did everyone else, but he managed to hide the truth. Instead of feeling guilty, he found that he was wondering of how proud Bill might be. How happy he was that Dipper was staying near. How wonderful their time was together. The boy bit his lower lip, those familiar and strong feelings igniting once more. His hand reached for his shorts and slipped into his pocket, an action that became habitual for him in the past week. He let his fingers graze the smooth surface of the deer tooth that Bill gave him. It was a gift. Of friendship. Of partnership . . . The revelation somehow had a pleasurable ring to it.

Partners . . . huh. I like the sound of that. Two beings, working together for a single cause. A cause . . . Oh yeah. Dipper's eyes widened suddenly and he stopped playing with the tooth. I have enough money to finish gathering ingredients for Bill. The alchemy spell only required a few more things. We could — I could have his body done by the end of tomorrow! They'd finally be together. Physically. And he could have so much fun showing Bill around, helping him learn about human life . . . He would help Dipper, too. Except this time it would be different. Better.

His heart pounded in his chest as he scooted off of his squeaky mattress, slowly, slowly. I'll go into town real quick and grab the last few things. It won't be long. I can sneak back and be in bed before anyone notices. His foot hit the wooden floor and he stood, watching his sister intently. When she didn't stir, he put on his vest with the money in it. If I'm lucky then there'll be time to start the transmutation. Bill and I . . . Bill and I . . . Blushing profoundly, he quickly tiptoed out of the bedroom, shutting the door halfway behind him. Careful to check to see if the stairs and path was clear, he made his way out. Dipper, beaming from excitement, practically dashed to the chemical shop when he made it safely outside. His spirits were soaring, crying out Bill's name. We've almost made it.

Bill watched Pine Tree, chuckling to himself in the mindscape. "Well it looks like I'll have my vessel sooner than I thought!" he cheered and then carefully went into Dipper's mind. Hey kid! Decided to finish up my body, eh?

Yeah! It's going to be so great, the tween replied happily, panting from the run. He paused at the store's vacant doorway, closing his eyes as a recap.

I can't wait! Bill cheered. Only a few more ingredients and you're done! I will help you out with the alchemy spell, so don't worry.