Victory of the Daleks (pt 2)

Amy, the Doctor and I walked into the war room, ignoring the chatters of RAF members communicating away and focusing on the dalek in front of us that wasn't supposed to be there.

"So they're up to something, but what is it? What are they after?" The Doctor asked, leaning in towards Amy and I, observing the dalek from afar.

"Well, let's just ask, shall we?" Amy suggested simply, beginning to walk over to the dalek.

"Amy... Amelia!" The Doctor tried, getting her to stay away from it, but she didn't see a problem. She casually moved closer to it and cleared her throat, tapping on the dalek's casing so it swiveled around to point its eyestalk at her.

"Can I be of assistance?" the dalek asked her, in an obedient tone that daleks never used with humans.

"Oh. Yes. Yes! See um, my friend reckons you're dangerous. That you're an alien. Is it true?" She asked the dalek.

I crossed my arms. "That's not going to work," I mumbled.

"I am your soldier." the dalek replied. I looked to the Doctor to see his head tilted and his hand over his mouth in concentration.

"Yeah. Got that bit. Love a squaddie. What else, though?" Amy asked it.

"Please excuse me. I have duties to perform." The dalek replied, swiveling back around and moving away. The Doctor went over to Winston to try and convince him again, but knowing it was a lost cause at the moment, I decided to slowly follow the dalek instead.

No one noticed me as I trailed closely behind it, and I could only hope that the dalek didn't either. I followed it through hallways until it reached its destination, which was a room where Bracewell was in. The dalek then went away somewhere else, but I wasn't concentrated on that anymore. Instead, I walked over to Bracewell quietly.

"I'm a scientist too, you know." I told him. He jumped back a little.

"Oh! My dear, you scared me. Yes yes, you like science. That's nice." He disregarded me, going back to work on his blueprints.

I faltered a little bit, and shrunk back. He spoke to me then like the other 51 scientists did, as if I couldn't do it, as if I was just a small little girl who couldn't ever work with the big boys, but maybe in a nicer way. "No, I don't just like it, it's my line of work." I tried, but then I remembered the year we were in.

Female scientists weren't unheard of, but pretty uncommon at this time, especially young ones. Bracewell sighed. "Well, aim high, I suppose."

I walked over to one of the daleks. "Oh, I'm aiming high alright. By the way, you might want to check up on those plans for the gravity bubbles." I told him, but he only waved me off again.

I walked around the dalek to face its eyestalk. "I'm Nova," I announced to it bravely. "Does that mean anything to you?" The dalek didn't say anything, once again. Why weren't the daleks responding to me? It wasn't that I was asking the wrong questions, either. When Amy talked to the same dalek before, she was really casual and Scottish about it. There had to be a reason.

Instead, it moved over to Bracewell. "Would you care for some tea?" The dalek asked him.

What was wrong with that thing? Or more importantly, what was wrong with me? "That would be very nice. Thank you." Bracewell accepted politely, before the Doctor and Amy quickly strode into the room.

"All right, Prof! The PM's been filling me in. Amazing things, these Ironsides of yours. Amazing. You must be very proud of them." The Doctor told him, picking up a random file and sitting in the chair.

"Just doing my bit." Bracewell responded humbly.

"Not bad for a paisley boy," Amy commended, picking up a scanning device from the table.