Chapter 13

Ramlah

It was an extravagant event. I had never thought my valima would be like this. All kinds of luxurious settings were used. My dress, the hall, décor and the food. But the most important feature of this event was missing – My Husband. I internally recoiled. I don't even know if I should be calling him that. The images of last night flashed back. I shuddered. Shutting my eyes, I exhaled, I had to calm down. Thankfully, since morning Fahd had distanced himself. He woke up late and didn't bother to talk or look my way. I had felt relieved.

"Hmmm... the bride seems to be tired. I wonder why? Huh?" Nawal teased.

Bringing me back from my reverie. She winked, I looked away. I wish she had been right. Instead I had lived a nightmare. Her teasing didn't even make me shy as it did the previous night. What was left to be shy about? When I had been used in the most awful way one could imagine.

Other friends were coming up to me now, "So.... Tell us how is Fahd bhai? What did he gift you last night?" Amal asked.

I lowered my eyelashes. Gift? What gift? The scars on my body were the first gift my husband had given me. I wanted to scream. I wanted to reveal my secrets but my lips remained sealed. No one knew what I had gone through.

"Awww she is lost in her thoughts, she doesn't want to answer. Hmmmm... I think she wants to keep what gift she got a secret" Nawal joked.

Nawal was right. My gift will always remain a secret. Before I could answer any of their questions, Sana sat beside me and shooed my friends away. She took my hand in hers and squeezed it, making me look at her. Her penetrating gaze was unsettling as if she was trying to figure me out.

"He was drinking last night wasn't it?" she whispered.

I was taken back. How did she know? She must have seen my dubious expression.

"Saad saw him park his car around 1 in the morning." She replied to my unspoken question.

I lowered my lashes.

"Did he hurt you?"

My lips quivered. How can I tell her? She squeezed my hand reassuringly. "Ramlah be strong. I will talk to you in detail but not here. Not now."

"Sana, can I speak to you for a moment" Saad bhai asked softly, standing close to his wife.

She smiled lovingly at him. Placing her hand in his, she stood up, "I will be back Ramlah."

Embarrassed, I turned away. They had love between them. Something I had craved for. But...

Sana was back within few moments. "Come on we are leaving now."

I was puzzled, "What?"

She was not able to answer me as Fadil announced, "Ladies and Gentlemen, can I have your attention please. The groom has a special surprise for his bride. He has left, we can't bid him farewell but we can wish the bride all the best before she joins her husband." He was smiling broadly as he addressed everyone at the hall.

What was going on? Surprise?

Fadil turned to me and Sana who was helping me stand up with the heavy fancy gown I was wearing. His expression had changed abruptly. There was concern and apprehension in his eyes. He didn't look at me, instead he was talking to Sana.

"Yes please escort her to the car. I am headed that way. Saad is gone to get his car. I am sorry for dragging you and Saad out like this but I don't think I can do this alone." He said apologetically.

"No no its ok Fadil bhai. I understand." She responded and held my arm to escort me out of the hall.

It took us another ten minutes to reach the entrance of the hotel. Aunties, my family and friends stopped me at every step to wish me well and bid me goodbye. I was still baffled as to what was going on. I kept gazing at Sana questioningly but she smiled reassuringly and clasped my arm firmly hinting I shouldn't ask any questions.