Chapter 40

It's been over a week and the doctors finally give me the nod for going home. I want to stay at my place but Sam refuses, he claims he won't be able to protect me if I go home.

Max is still in hospital and showing no signs of improvement. If only I put up a better fight.

Sam walks into my room. "Ready?" He asks.

I nod. "Ready."

He wraps an arm around my hip, careful not to touch my wound and pulls me up. His other hand grabbing my arm that's linked around his shoulder.

It hurts to even walk, each step is causing more and more pain but I don't let Sam know that. He already has a lot on his plate.

His face looks hollow and his cheeks have disappeared, they aren't as plump as they used to be. His eyes have heavy bags underneath them. Sam looks like a sick hospital patient, not me.

He eases me into the car and drives off till we get to his place.

He places me in a spare bedroom upstairs. There's about twenty five bedrooms in his place. Who needs that many?

He lays me on the bed then quickly leans in and kisses my forehead. I'm half expecting him to start making out with me because for one it would be a nice distraction and secondly...well he's damn hot, who wouldn't want that.

He grabs my hand between both of his. "I love you, dammit."

I break into a smile. "I love you too, dammit."

Sam smiles back. This moment, I wish I could pause it and live in it forever.

Sam stays by my side until I dose off.

----------------

When I open my eyes, I notice someone by the door but before I can call out they walk out and shut the door. I don't know who it was. Maybe it was Sam or maybe a butler.

I push myself up and on the bedside table there is a note.

Dear Vi

I've popped into the hospital to pay Max a visit. I'm sorry I can't be by your side. I have left some panadol and water to ease the pain, and the tv remote so you can watch something. If you need anything, and I mean anything then give me a call or let my butler know, I should be back soon.

Love Sam.

I grab the tablet and swallow it down with water. I snatch the remote up and begin switching through the channels.
My door creaks slightly open and then suddenly it gets pulled shut again.

"Is there anyone there?" I say lightly not wanting to make much sound as my nerves kick in.

A sudden bang makes me jump up on my bed. It came from downstairs.

I grab the side of my stomach as I ease myself off the bed. I know I shouldn't get out of bed as I'm not well but the sound gets the better of me. I tuck my phone into my pocket.

I wince as I walk towards the door, my body not able to keep up. I feel like I'm about to collapse but I get to the door.

Taking a huge breath, I open the door and walk slightly out.

"Sam!" I whisper slightly, paranoia taking over. "Anyone here?"

No one answers back. I look over to my left and notice muddy foot steps all over the wooden floor. I walk closer.

"Sam is that you?" I say a little louder.

No reply.

Everything in my body is telling me to go back to my room, lock the door and call Sam...but I don't.

From the corner of my eye, I notice someone run past. I don't turn my face because now I suspect that whoever it is, it isn't someone who should be here.

I look back at my room. Is it better to go there or make a run for it downstairs.

I take my chance and run downstairs. My white shirt stained red from my wound. The pressure must've opened the bandage.

When I get downstairs I take small steps into the kitchen. No one here.

I grab a key...any key off the side table in the living room ready to run off but I just as I turn to the door I notice a body slumped on the floor near the couch.

I look around frantically for any movement but see nothing so I run to the body.

As I get closer, I'm forced to cover my mouth. The urge to throw up all over the floor overwhelms me.

Right there in the middle of the living room is Sam's butler...with his guts all over the carpet.

I ease backwards knocking a gorgeous statue down. It makes a sudden bang. I turn and run outside to the cars. I click the button on the car remote and the red Porsche light flickers.

I quickly grab the handle and get in.

-------------------

When I get to my place I immediately call Sam. My voice panicky and worried as I explain what I see. He tells me to stay put and that he'll immediately be there.

In the meantime, I go to every opening and window in my place and close it. I pull the curtains so no one can see and sit on the couch biting my nails.

The front door rattles. I stand up to open it thinking its Sam but the next words I hear freeze me.

I place my head against the door.

"Hurry up, she's in here."

"I'm trying."

"She's knows we're after her."

"Don't worry. I checked, Sam's busy in the hospital. We'll be in and out before he'll be back. She'll be dead by then."

I cover my mouth as their words register in my mind. I look around frantically. There is no where to hide.

I hear them banging against the door.

I run into the bathroom and lock the door.

This isn't safe. If they can burst the front door open they can burst the bathroom door.

I run out and walk over to the cabinet by the balcony and forcefully shut myself in.

It's dark and I can't see.

I hear the men, they're inside my apartment now. I can hear the voice of about seven or eight men.

Placing a hand over my mouth to hide the sound of me crying, I pull my phone out and dial Sam.

He doesn't pick up.

I hold my breath because if I breathe, I'm sure they'd hear it.

It dawns on me that my phone's volume is on and if Sam calls me, I'd get caught out. Before I can grab for my phone, my phone's ringtone goes off. I search for it in a panic then grab it, and see its Sam. Pressing the answer button I listen carefully for the men outside.

"Did you hear that?"

"It was a phone. She's here somewhere. Philips you look in the bedroom."

"Sir, I think it came from that cabinet."

My heart freezes when the strangers say that.

I pull my phone to my ear. "I think I'm dead, Sam. I think they're going to kill me."

I hang up.