Chapter Fifty-Six ۞ Intruders

They followed Alovia's group and they could hear them loudly bickering as they sauntered calmly. There were two men on either side of her riding their own horses with the woman between them. She had on a cape with the hood slung over her head, shadowing her fair face that glistened with sweat. The expression she had on was neutral and commanding, like the noble she was.

"Are you sure we are here?" She asked the man to her right. "This cannot be it, right?"

"There can no other be Ash Canyons bordering the Golden and Artlen Deserts, milady."

She harrumphed. "You made sure no one knew I left the palace."

"Yes, Lady Sidar."

Valeriana unwittingly lifted a brow as the form of address fell on her ears. "Alovia Sidar. What position does she have as a noble again?"

"Countess of Sidar." Gavin answered.

They continued watching until a net flew out, its body spreading out like a spider preparing to attack its prey. Its sides were weighed down by big rocks and they landed square on target, caging Alovia's group in place and pushing them off their horses. The animals immediately scampered in panic, leaving them behind.

It happened so suddenly they could barely react. Traps burst and activated. Two, well-built men dressed in robes appeared a few moments after and drew their swords.

"This is ridiculous! Get me out of here! Who dares do this?" She shrieked in distress and rage. "Pepper! Ginger!"

"Is she trying to season something? In this situation?" Valeriana wondered as they continued to watch.

"Those must be the names of her companions." Gavin concluded. "Must we continue to watch, Corvan?"

"As despicable as this sounds, I think we should." Answered the young lord.

Valeriana felt mildly sorry for Aloe Vera, her decided nickname. She did hold a grudge for the way the girl acted, but she wasn't the type to hold her hatred too deep. It was through these name-calling and degradation that she expressed her dislike, but no one deserved going through bad experiences. She brought it to herself though.

Corvan and company watched Alovia and her companions hauled from the ground one by one. Their hands and ankles were tied together with their mouths gagged so that they could not talk. Afterwards, they were blindfolded and thrown into sacks where they were slung over broad, muscular shoulders then carried towards the direction of the Ash Canyons.

"We should follow." Said Corvan in a hushed tone.

"What if there are more of those guys hanging around?" Valeriana voiced out in concern, grabbing her fellow ranker by the sleeve and pulling him back.

'Valeriana is right. I recommend thou dost not be too careless, heilm juaire.' Avaro advised. 'The Ash Canyons is a place full of surprises.'

"We have no choice. The only thing we can do is try and not get discovered. If we are to penetrate this place, you must be aware of the dangers." Corvan reasoned out. "Knowing that, do you still want to continue? I am unsure of what to expect."

"Corvan not being sure is a bad thing." Valeriana quipped.

"It's alright. Nothing is ever easy." Said Gavin. "So we'll apologize in advance if we get abducted and you have to save us."

"Okay. But, how exactly are we going to follow them without getting discovered?"

"The old-fashioned way. Follow me." He waved at them.

"You really find the time to be arrogant in times like this?" Valeriana rolled her eyes.

"I meant none of that at all."