Heart Broken

I read the letter over and over. Tears falling down my face faster, the more times I read it. I forced myself to put the letter down and look at the papers she left me. She didn't lie. She did leave me signed papers that stated that she was divorcing me and giving me sole custody of the girls. 

I shook the manilla envelope and out came here engagement ring and her wedding band. She really left me. She wanted nothing to do with me. How could I not blame myself? It was all my fault. If I didn't cheat on her, we would still be a family. 

"Daddy?" Adalyn asked. I wiped my tears away. "Why daddy sad?" She asked as she hopped off her chair and walked over to me. I picked her up and set her on the counter. She saw the rings and picked them up. "Pretty," She said. "Those were mommy's," I said, trying to hold back my tears. 

"Where's mommy?" She asked. "Mommy isn't coming back, baby," I said before I hugged her. "Can we go swimming, daddy?" She asked as she set the rings down. "You go upstairs and change and I will go talk to Kennedy, ok?" I said as I set her down. "Ok!" She said as she ran away. 

I put the letter and the papers back in the envelope, along with the rings. I took the letter upstairs and placed it on my dresser before I went to Kennedy's room. 

She was sitting on her bed with a sad look on her face. I walked over to her and sat on the floor in front of her. "Kennedy?" I asked. "What?" She said. "Can you tell daddy why you threw crayons at your sister?" I asked her. "I don't know," She said. "Can you say sorry to Addie?" I asked her. She nodded her head.

"Adalyn, come here please," I said. Adalyn came runnning in. She was wearing a purple bikini that Ma picked out for her. "Kennedy, do you have something to say to Adalyn?" I asked. "Sorry for throwing crayons at you," Kennedy said. "Now give Addie a hug," I said. Kennedy got off her bed and hugged Adalyn. "Thank you, now hug daddy," I said. 

She came running over to me and hugged me. "I love you daddy," She said before she kissed my cheek. "I love you too, Kennedy. Now get your swimsuit on," I said before Adalyn and I went back to our rooms. 

I picked out a pair of white swim trunks and pulled them on. I grabbed three towels from the bathroom and went downstairs. The girls were in matching swimsuits and were anxiously waiting by the back door. 

I opened the door for them and they ran outside. I followed behind them and put the towels on a table next to a lounge chair. "Girls, don't you dare go into that water without your floaties!" I said as they were about to go in. 

They ran over to me, waiting for me to give them their floaties. I slipped them on their arms and they ran into the water. I put my sunglasses on and watched them play in the water. 

Why did I cheat on Lena? This moment would be perfect if she was here. All I want is her back. I want my wife back. I want the love of my life back. 

I watched the girls run over to me. "Daddy!" They shouted as they sat on the edge of my chair. "Hey cuties," I said. Adalyn started tracing my sleeve of tattoos and Kennedy was tracing the tiger on my right arm. 

"Daddy, why did you color on your arms?" Kennedy asked. "Those are tattoos, angel," I said. "What's a tattoo?" Adalyn asked. "It's drawing on your skin that are there forever," I said. "Cool," The girls said. 

After swimmming for two hours, I brought the girls inside so they could take their naps. I came back downstairs after laying them down in their beds. I grabbed a beer from the fridge and sat down on the couch.

Before I could take a sip of my beer, the doorbell rang. I set my beer on the coffee table and got up to answer the door. I opened it and there stood the woman that I hadn't seen since my wedding day.

Lena's mother.