Part 14

September 1542

Hatfield House, Hertfordshire

Kat's head swung sharply in my direction and she gave me a warning look. I knew what she was thinking. If my mother had done so much to keep this a secret, then we should as well, but, she did not understand. I did not have secrets from Robert. As soon as we sat, I began telling him everything, starting with Alice's message on the day he had arrived. He, of course, asked questions and was completely involved in the story and mystery of it all.

"So, that box Kat just brought in is at least from your grandmother or, perhaps, even from your mother?"

"Yes!" I said excitedly.

"Well, you must rush to your grandmother's house and see if she also has left you a clue."

"Kat, do you know where we should begin? Mother grew up at Hever Castle in Kent, but I know that, after Grandfather died, the castle went back to Father's ownership, and he, then, gave it to Anna of Cleves. However, I think Grandmother and Grandfather lived the last bit of their lives at Baynard's."

"I would think your grandmother would leave something for you in a place that would be associated with her family. I am sure that, of the two castles, Hever is the best place to start—the only problem being that it is upwards of fifty miles away, while Baynard's is but twenty miles."

I was frustrated. "So that makes neither of the castles a possibility for visiting. I cannot make a trip of that distance in the near future. I have no excuse for it, excepting this secret one."

"I guess you will just have to find some excuse for going," Robert said, as he smiled and touched my hand that rested on the table. "Do not be overanxious about it, my Lady. It will work itself out."

"Perhaps a visit to Anna. She is always inviting you," Kat said offhandedly.

"Yes, that would be a wonderful idea, except, I have never showed much interest in her, and I fear to ask, now that I have refused so often." However, no other plan came to mind and then it was time for tea to be over.

"My Lady, we need to get you ready for your party. It starts shortly," Kat said stiffly as she looked over at Robert. She had been impolite to him the entire half an hour.

"Yes. Well, Robert, out with you. The ladies must make themselves beauteous," I said.

He laughed. "The men too!" Then he headed for the door, but stopped and turned before exiting. "Oh, my Lady."

"Yes," I said instantly, for I was watching him walk out.

"I know there will be dancing, and I would consider it an honor if I might share a dance or two with you."

"Robert, I would be offended if you hadn't asked. I probably would have just demanded you do the deed whether you wanted to or not," I said as haughtily as I could.

He looked at me adoringly and sighed. "You know not how you quicken my heart with your words." I giggled and watched him slide his hand just under his doublet, right over his heart, and pat it rapidly. "You see, my Lady, I shall die, it beats so quickly."

"Get out, you silly boy!" I said, and tossed a nearby pillow at him. With that, he rushed from the room. When I turned to face Kat, I knew that I was in for a lecture and it came immediately.

"The two of you act like courtiers, not like children. I thought you were playing in the mud, not making love to one another."

I felt the shock of her words flush my cheeks. "Robert and I do not—do not make love to one another." I calmed myself and thought how I did not want to explain this to Kat. But if I did not I would never see Robert again. Kat would see to it. "In public, we practice on one another because that is what is expected. However, when we are alone, we play as children do, because that is what we are in our hearts."

"I am not sure where his heart lies, but, Elizabeth, it is absolutely incontestable that you are smitten with him. You cannot deny it for I will not believe you."

I hated this. I did not want to have this conversation. I just wanted things to be easy with Sir Robin and me. I wanted to have a normal friendship without it leading to marriage conversations. I also hated the fact that she saw what I knew: that I was his sister, but he was in my heart. I felt spurred, rejected, a little humiliated, and foolish. However, I knew I had to tell her something.

Explaining my now-dejected attitude was important to my pride. "Kat, it does not matter the way I feel. Robert is beautiful—even you cannot contradict me there—so, of course I am going to be smitten with him. Is it not time for me to have my first attraction? For heaven sake, Father has already promised my hand to four different men. Should I not discover what I like?" I realized how this sounded and quickly went on.

"Never mind any of that. Truthfully, it is not important. What is pertinent is Robert. He is more than a first attraction to me. He is my playmate, my confidant, someone I trust and want to be with. He is the first friend I have ever had—that is not an adult." I looked at her and willed her to see what I meant but could not explain very well. "Do you understand me?"

Kat did not say anything for a full minute, but as her sharp eyes finished assessing whatever she was assessing, she slowly said, "I see." Then her look turned half-amused, half-conflicted, and she sighed. "Let's get you dressed. You do not want to make your guests wait too long."