Part 15

September 1542

Hatfield House, Hertfordshire

The afternoon was all I had hoped. There was a large canopy with tables and chairs set up in the south end of the garden. I wondered if God had listened to all my prayers concerning the weather, because it could not have been more uncharacteristic or more beautiful. The sun was warm, and I knew that this was certainly one of the last warm days of summer, before the land would succumb to autumn. The trees were still green, the flowers were still in blossom, and the bees still buzzed.

Blanche had outdone herself. Everything was perfect. I wore my most elegant gown: gold with white silk lace borders and brown and green silk flowers embroidered onto the corset. An elegant three-tiered cake sat in front of me.

I stood to deliver my birthday speech, which I'd been practicing, for it was my main duty tonight. I did not have much to say, but I was full of gratitude. Clearing my throat, I lifted my glass. "To my close friends and family. Thank you for celebrating this special day with me. Thank you for traveling so far to see me, the humble daughter of an important man."

Many laughed, and I laughed too. "I hope this is the first of many celebrations that I host. Though I am nine today, I flatter myself that I am old enough to make a proper hostess speech, and that, my dear friends, is what this party is about: my education as a hostess." I added in a jesting manner, "Which tells you that Kat just doesn't know what else to teach me. She says I already know everything and there is considerable angst in her tone when she admits this." I giggled and so did my audience. "Really, I have invited you here because I think it important to celebrate change, personal growth, and the gaining of skills and knowledge. That is what life is about, correct?" There were murmurs of agreement. "I feel that this year I have changed. I have overcome many things, by the grace of God, and there are many things I look forward to accomplishing." I raised my glass. "So, to another wonderful year and many thanks to Blanche and all those who helped me put this together. I hope I have learned all I ought."

My friends and family saluted me, and as we commenced the feast, I congratulated myself on gaining yet another skill required of a princess. I hoped Father would be proud.

***

We cleared out all the tables from under the canopy to make room for the dancing, which went on until the sun was almost down. As the air cooled off we moved to dancing in the grass. The players were local men and excellent at their craft. Robert looked so handsome in his silk stockings and velvet doublet. I was proud to be bouncing around with him. There were several other girls my age attending, but I was not interested in them or their haughty, ladylike manners. I remained polite, but I did not seek them out. I wanted to have fun. It was my birthday party.

He was a very good dancer and I had not seen his face so alive before tonight. He was enjoying himself immensely and so was I. It was much different to dance in the arms of the most handsome boy I had ever met.

"This is wonderful," I said a little dreamily as I watched Robert leap and kick as the dance called.

"And terrific exercise! Do you think we should incorporate dancing into the time we spend together?" he asked.

"I think that an excellent idea, mate," I said in a Yorkshire accent. He smiled widely as he hopped gracefully past me. After attempting to dance the difficult galliard, the sun was down and so we sat. "I have not told you this, but my father and the king have arranged that I go to Ashridge in January and stay with your brother, Prince Edward, to be his playfellow and receive lessons from his new tutor, Dr. Coxe. I will be living with Edward for at least three or four months. You wouldn't happen to visit your brother often, would you?" Holding his hand out for me, I rose, and we began dancing once again.

"Unhappily, not. I miss dear Edward and wish that I could see him more. Perhaps Kat and I will have to take that up with my father." I smiled at him and he smiled back, then he began humming the melody of the familiar tune being played.

I knew the tune as well and hummed with him.

However, as I did he stopped and said with shock, "My Lady, I did not know that you had such a superb voice. How have you not sung for me before?"

I loved his praise, but it surprised me, and I looked at him to see if he was ridiculing. "You flatter me, sir," I said with a blush. "I do not spend a lot of time singing, though I play the lute and the virginals. One really should sing if she is going to make the effort of learning to play, don't you agree?"

He nodded.

"However, I have just not pursued singing."

"You should sing whenever you can, for you will only get better as you age." He smiled at me and said, completely unabashed, "Elizabeth, I have to confess something to you." I waited, and he pulled me to a table where we sat once more. "I think you are the loveliest friend a boy could have." And with that he took my hand from the table and gently kissed it.

"Happy birthday, and I hope this is the first of many we shall spend together."

I smiled, knowing he was only being charming.

Just then a lively song began. "Shall we dance again?"

He grinned as if I had read his mind and, holding the hand he had just kissed, pulled me to the grass.