Chapter Two

Bella was kind enough to offer Cole a ride to school the next day as they arrived back at her house, and they even went as far as planning to eat lunch together the next day. But one thing that they forgot in all of their planning was to arrange a time for Bella to come and pick her up. So, Cole, who likes to sleep until the last possible second, is still asleep when Bella knocks on the door.

"Just come in," Cole says as she opens the door, rubbing her bleary eyes. "Sorry for sleeping in but just give me five minutes, maybe ten minutes."

When Bella tries to open her mouth and let Cole know that no, she did not sleep in but instead, she's early, Cole is already halfway up the stairs. She doesn't bother picking her clothes out, just putting on the first t-shirt and pair of jeans that she yanks out of her closet. She slides on her boots, dragging a brush through her hair before she makes her way downstairs.

"You should know that wasn't necessary," Bella says, a small smile crossing her face as Cole reappears at the top of the stairs. "I'm - I don't know if this counts as being early or not. So, this is probably both of our faults for picking a time."

"Well, I certainly don't feel foolish," Cole jokes before she leads the way through to the kitchen. "Did you have breakfast?" She asks as she searches a cupboard, and unfortunately, Leo has not been to the store, so still no coffee, but there are cereal bars.

"I did, thanks," Bella says, shaking her head when Cole holds out the box.

Bella looks better today, probably less nervous than she was for her first day, but she also seems tired. Cole doesn't comment though, neither of them needs this right now. Instead, she just gives her a small smile before she leads the way outside, locking the front door behind them. They turn the radio on as they get into the truck, the soft music that fills the truck helps to drown out the roar of the engine. She eats her snack as they drive, putting the wrapper in her pocket when she's finished.

Cole likes Bella, but what she doesn't like is all the attention that comes with hanging out with Bella. A prime example of this is Mike Newton, who hovers by their table until first period starts. Cole's never put much thought towards him before now; they've never run in the same circles. What she does know is that he's harbouring a massive crush on Bella, one that she clearly doesn't return, not with the way she's holding him at arm's length. She isn't totally against his presence though, he does confirm Bella's story when she pulls him aside at the end of class.

It's a deliberate choice when she doesn't tell Bella about her plan to speak to Jasper. Whether it's just because she has a feeling that Bella won't like it or if it's because she chickens out, but even she doesn't know. But there's something in her that thinks this is the best thing to do, though it may be the only thing she can do.

Cole grips her backpack tightly as she heads towards her next class running through what she should say as she goes. For once, Jasper is there before her, she almost flinches even when she sees him sitting there, and she doesn't know why but she's sure he saw it. He glances over her for a moment, and it feels like he's trying to look through her. Their eyes meet for a single moment before he looks away, and she would swear he seems disappointed.

"Hey," Cole says, trying to sound casual as she takes her seat; she keeps her eyes firmly fixed on the inside of her backpack as she pretends to look for a notebook.

He doesn't say anything in response, but she can feel him looking at her, his eyes burning into her.

"So, the uh weather's been pretty good recently," Cole comments, just saying the first thing that popped into her head, and again she's met with silence and stares. "Look, I know we don't exactly talk much, but I was hoping I could talk to you," she says, finally looking up at him.