First Memory

For the few readers watching this story: thank you. It is just as important that you get this story as the many.

Downstairs he found Tea deep in an interrogation session with the white girl, who was looking more and more uncomfortable by the second.

She looked up as Yugi entered and instantly became hesitant.

"Ah, Yugi. I, um, can I talk to you?"

"Sure. That, uh, is why you came here, isn't it?"

"Yeah. If it isn't too weird, can we talk outside?"

Inwardly, he sent a raised eyebrow to Yami. Unbeknownst to them, the white girl slipped away and towards the good smell in the kitchen.

Next to the tin garbage bin Tea turned to him, clutching her hands before her so hard he could see her fingertips turn white. A thought crossed his mind that this may very well have to do with her strange behavior at the camping trip. Was she about to reveal it to him? Confide in him? He steadied himself to be ready, excited that he could finally do something about it.

She bit her lip and looked at her shoes.

"Um...is it possible to talk to Yami? The Pharaoh, I mean."

Needless to say, there was a distinct drop inside him. He felt Yami stir and prod him in concern.

'Abiou?'

'I'm fine. Um...Tea wants to speak with you.'

'What about?'

'I don't know, but I think it's about what she was upset about on the camping trip.'

Yugi's momentary silence to talk to Yami had made Tea visibly uncomfortable. She kept pulling on the ends of her skirt, which Yugi noticed was shorter than her usual.

Yami was snorting.

'I guess that proves my theory correct.'

This annoyed Yugi for some reason. His disappointment in Tea not wanting to confide in him had been enough to put him on edge. Putting his hands around his puzzle, he closed his eyes and, ready or not, Yami was pulled out and into his body, and Yugi curled up in his soul room to listen.

Tea flinched when sharp eyes and a slightly taller man gazed out on her. Her cheeks instantly reddened, making Yami smirk.

"You wanted to speak with me?"

"Uh, y-yeah. I, um, was wondering if you—oh gosh this is not working out as well as it had in my head." she clenched her hands tighter. Yugi wondered how much more her fingers could take.

"Tea, there is no need for you to be nervous. I am your friend. You can tell me anything." Yami hesitated. "Yugi and I have noticed you've been distracted of late. Is everything okay?"

"Yes, everything is fine, I've just been...getting the nerve to talk to you about...something."

"I'm listening."

"Well, I was wondering, if...you'd be willing to go on a date with me? I, well, for a while I've really admired you, and I really, really like you." her face was scarlet. It was very strange for Yugi to view Tea no overflowing with confidence as usual, even through a dim window in his soul room. A warm, uncomfortable pressure was squirming beneath his lungs. So Yami was right...but what was he expecting? That Tea would like him? When had he ever thought that? He had always known every girl was out of his league, friend or not. Being the shrimp of the century does that to you.