18

*Drawing of Anna by: avengers_zsra

I checked the clock on my desk again, it was now 11:50, it was time to go, finally. I stood up and grabbed a few items, a folder, a notebook, my bag. I quickly locked up my office and walked straight over across the hall to Fury's office.

"Ready?" I asked standing in the doorway. He had his feet up on his desk, studying something in his hands. He looked up at me and then back to the clock. It was time to go to our meeting with the World Security Council.

"I guess so." He replied standing up and picking up what he wanted to take. He followed me towards the elevator.

"Smith, Anna C."

"Fury, Nicholas J."

"Fortieth floor please." I said and the elevator responded by moving.

"How's he doing?"

"Pretty good, he's slowly catching up." It had only been half a week since Steve had been awake. He had been out of SHIELD's grasp for awhile, but has been wanting to get involved.

"What do you think they're going to want this time?" Fury asked me, he was leaning on the glass side of the elevator. He was staring down at his boots un-amused.

"God only knows, it's about time for a new weapon to be introduced. Last month they wanted to increase our personnel." I hated all of the politics that came with SHIELD and working with the government. It just made everything more complicated. Politics is the process of cooperation and conflict, it's fundamental to human life, even if I wished it wasn't.

"What are you going to present?"

"Our new initiative. It's time, it almost feels as if we're running out of it. I'll have to bargain with them to get it though. I'm willing to let whatever they want slide through to get this done." The elevator stoped and we step out onto the fourtieth floor and into a meeting room. The room was formal, with a long black table and at the end were screens.

"Secretary Pierce good to see you again," I greeted shaking his hand.

"Director Smith, always nice to see you," He replied. I trusted Pierce as far as I could throw him. He was too good at political manipulation and games. Pierce was one of the few people Fury fully trusted, and I trusted Fury so I put my faith in Pierce.

"Okay, let's start this." I stated giving Pierce a nod. He turned on the monitors and five heads appear. They are the five men and women that make up the world security council that helped run SHIELD, and the only reason I have grey hairs.

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen." Pierce announced getting their attention. They all mutter some kind of hello back.

"Let's start as usual with going over the reports from this past month." Pierce suggested, and he turned to Fury. Fury then read a bit about each big mission that had operated this month. He told them who went on it, what happened, and the outcome. This part was usually the longest, we run about thirty five big missions a month, and at most five of those are top priority ones. The thirty five usually consist of traveling internationally, or a big intelligence opts. If they're top priority it means they were game changing missions, ones that brought a lot of change. Usually if something big happens, like a war, or even a threat of one, our mission count goes up. This month however was relatively quiet, except for finding Steve.