Jonah Clarke Is Useful

Isaac flops down on the chair with a sigh he usually reserves for when someone has said something particularly stupid. And when he makes no move to elaborate on it, Daniel takes matters into his own hands.

"What's up?"

"Mum and Dad have just notified me that I'm babysitting the horrors tonight, apparently there's been a problem with delivery at the shop or something."

"Want some help?"

"You don't want to inflict that kind of torture on yourself," Isaac says, "trust me on that one."

"The twins aren't that bad."

"You don't live with them."

"Do you want my help or not?"

"I feel bad, like I shouldn't make anybody else suffer through that hell."

"Do you want my damn help or not?" Daniel repeats.

"Yes please," Isaac admits eventually, "maybe if you're round then some of my sanity might remain intact."

"Stop being so overdramatic."

"You love me for it."

Daniel shakes his head and shuffles from side to side in his seat.

"So..." Isaac says.

"So?"

"I see Jonah's back sitting with us, and I'm yet to get a chance to ask you why that is. Now seems a good a time as any."

"We made up."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"I dunno, you guys just seem to be acting weirdly."

Daniel is convinced that Isaac knows. He's not sure how the other boy does it but he always seems to be able to tell when something is up between Jonah and he, as if their years of friendship has built a psychic connection between them. Daniel knows that it hasn't but that doesn't stop him from looking at Isaac with a suspicious expression.

"We're fine."

"Well I guess it's a good job I didn't break something of his like I was going to."

"What were you going to break?" Daniela asks confused, "I mean I guess you could go for his watch or something, he seems to really like that."

"I was meaning more like his leg," Isaac says, "he seems to really like that too."

"Isaac," Daniel says warningly.

"Daniel," Isaac mimics.

"You can't just go around breaking people's legs."

"And Jonah Clarke can't go around being an asshole."

"Well it's all fine now."

"It better be."

"It is."

As if on cue Jonah arrives, cutting through people until he's stood right next to their table, towering above Daniel who is sat.

"Hey," Jonah says softly.

"Hey."

Jonah's words are still running round in Daniel's mind, like little children let loose after consuming too many smarties. He wants to know more, is desperate to ask questions but if last night is any indication then Daniel knows they'll go unanswered.

After his mini revelation, Jonah clammed up, refusing to talk to Daniel about the girl at all.

Daniel hates the fact that Jonah is keeping so many secrets from him, as if he doesn't trust Daniel at all. It hurts Daniel more than it probably should, possibly because Daniel would potentially trust Jonah with anything, and it seems the other boy can't return the favour.