Chapter 21

"You nervous for tonight at all?" Remus asked as he and Luna walked down the hall together, arms linked at the elbows. Luna gave a small shrug, brows furrowed as she thought about it.

"I guess. Probably not as much as I should be. I've just kind of accepted it." She decided after a moment, biting down on her bottom lip. Remus nodded in understanding.

"I know what you mean. There's no avoiding it, really. The full moon will happen, and the Aurors are just a bonus." Remus said cheerfully, and Luna grinned at him.

"Aren't they though?"

"You're in luck though- one of the Apprentices they've got with him is alright. Kingsley, his name is." Remus said as they entered the Great Hall. His voice quieted as they entered. "Talked to him earlier- he'll be one of the blokes in the Shack tonight."

"Oh joy. Cause that's always how I make friends- I show them how I turn into a ravenous beast." Luna said pleasantly as they sat down among their friends. The table barely noticed their arrival besides Sirius, who used the hand that wasn't holding a fork to reach out and take Luna's. She smiled at the contact, comforted. Tonight would be alright.

"James, can you pass that- yeah, thanks." Luna hummed, scooping the chicken pot pie onto her plate. While Remus and Luna had been late to dinner, the food was still warm, and it made her stomach growl.

Without too much worry for the future, Luna dug in.

_

Dinner had passed uneventfully, and with only a little more gossip about the previous night's drama.

That worry Luna had brushed off previously though?

Yes, that was back, and it settled deep into the pit of her stomach.

She sat at the edge of her infirmary bunk, staring down at her bare feet with some contempt. She could see white and pink scars all around her legs, showing the many cuts and breaks and injuries she had acquired in her less-than-a-year of being a werewolf. She had seen how scratched up Remus was, after being a werewolf for years and years, and already she was gaining on him, mark for mark and bite for bite.

"Are you ready, Swift? Remus?" A man's voice called- but when Luna turned, it appeared to be more of a boy who stood there, hands folded neatly in front of him and dark eyes watching her expectantly. Luna gave a small nod, rising from her bed as Remus did from his. While the Aurors would only be watching her, Remus had agreed to walk with her- he was heading in the same direction anyway.

"Yeah." Luna said, while Remus smiled and stuck his hand out to the boy.

"Good to see you, Kingsley."

"Looking worse for wear, Lupin. Tell me; Is that from the full moon, or did Lucinda try to sneak some Amortentia into your morning tea again?" Kingsley asked, the seriousness turning into a small smile as he shook Remus's hand. Remus smiled back, and Luna felt more at ease- if the boy spoke to Remus as a friend, surely he wouldn't mind her too much.

"Fortunately, no. After that incident Lucinda found herself much less drawn towards me and more towards the Crouch kid- Better for her, closer in age. The Ministry treating you well? I'm rather hurt you've not written."

"Busy times, my friend." Kingsley shrugged, and then his gaze turned to Luna. "It's nice to meet you, by the way. Richard's already told me much about you- congratulations on making your way to Hogwarts. I imagine that was not an easy road to take."

"It wasn't." Luna agreed, her smile a little weary. "But it was worth it."

"I'm sure." Kingsley said, not unkindly. "Now, if you'll both follow me- Moody will be meeting you at the door, and Richard at the Shack."