Chapter Twenty Eight - Disappointment, Declarations and Confessions

Chapter Twenty Eight – Disappointment, Declarations and Confessions

I erratically tapped the end of my pencil against the desk, unknowingly garnering the attention of half of my maths class.

Cassey nudged me and I quickly stopped, quickly punching some numbers into my calculator unconvincingly trying to look like I was doing work. I thought hard. What exactly had I done to her? Hunter did not...does not...like me. I was pretty sure of that.

I glanced up at the clock; five minutes left until the end of class and the columns I had ruled at the beginning were still close to empty. The most important year of my life basically, and I was wasting the time I had, thinking about such frivolous things.

The bell tolled and the pang of guilt hit me. Tonight, I would stay up late to catch up on my work. I made a declaration to myself that I would work harder. I will work hard. I will push myself so I have no regrets. No sleep until I finish what I have to.

Just as we filed out of class, I saw Hunter and Jenny walking down the hallway towards me, talking. Jenny said something to Hunter and then left the other way, avoiding me.

"Hey," he grinned, nudging me with his books.

What on earth was he doing with her? It couldn't be...could it? After her sudden love confession he realised that they could totally be a thing, and so now they're all buddy buddy? Son, she basically just ratted you out.

I don't care, I told myself.

"Hey," I replied limply.

"Look, I talked to Jenny yesterday..." he began.

He talked to Jenny? After we left he talked to her? It felt like I'd just been stabbed in the back. Then again, what obligation did we have to each other? None at all.

"Oi Ella! I'll talk to you later," I said quickly to Hunter, rushing off.

Then why didn't I want to hear what he had to say?

"You're not usually this eager to talk to me," Ella remarked. "Woah, hold your horses. Why are you walking so quickly?"

"Just walk," I said, grabbing her arm. I glanced back quickly to see Hunter turn away.

"That's unusual. Ditching the boy for your friend now, are we?" She teased.

"After we all left yesterday, he talked to Jenny."

She stopped walking. "What happened?" She turned to face me, her eyes scanning every inch of my face.

"I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know? How did you know that they talked?"

"He told me."

"You didn't ask what they talked about?"

"He was going to tell me, but that's when I saw you...so I just ran."

"Why would you do that?"

"I saw them together in the hallway earlier, okay!? They were talking, smiling? I don't know anymore!"

"And you say you don't like him," she scoffed.

"I don't!" I protested.

Ella nodded sarcastically. We reached our lockers and stacked our books inside. I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder and turned around. Jenny stood there, looking at her feet.

"Can we talk?" She said.

"I don't have anything to say to you," I mumbled.

"Then just listen," she said, attempting to reach for my arm. I drew my arm back.