Jason

Two months before

Saturday. The best day of the week. It's the only day I don't have work and I don't have to be around the others. It's not that I don't like them, it's just my life doesn't revolve around them. Scout can take care of herself and I don't really give a shit about Ryker. I know Scout likes him. I'm not stupid. But that doesn't bother me. It's her life, whatever. What bugs me is how careless he is. I've spent so much time covering up my tracks but he doesn't seem to care. And he knows things about me. Things I've worked so hard to keep hidden. Whatever though.

Today is my day free of everything. So who cares? I walk down the busy sidewalks enjoying the life the city brings. People are smiling, dancing, shouting. I just love it. Some people hate it but it's better than the Imperium. I walk a few more blocks until I see my destination. Cafe Blue. I know it sounds cheesy. I mean really, a cafe. But Ryker and Scout don't know about it. And the owner was the one who helped me out a bit after I escaped. The place is very dear to me so don't judge. Another plus is it's not SUPER popular so it's generally quiet.

When I walk in the door jingles, signaling my entry. I look around. It's a generally small place with dark colored cherry hardwood floors and baby blue walls with a brown stripe through the center. In the back there is a counter for orders with a display case containing many sweet treats. The floor is covered with tables and chairs. To the right is a small stage but it's rarely used.

Yet today, to my surprise, music fills the air. My eyes travel to a girl at the piano. She looks to be about seventeen. And though young, she possesses an entrancing beauty. She has a small round face with a button nose. Her ever so slightly tan skin brings out her crystalline blue eyes. A black fedora with a red ribbon sits upon her gorgeous coffee brown hair that is pulled back in a lazy bun that suits her, two strands of gorgeous hair fall out in the front. Wearing a simple light brown three quarter sleeve shirt, with white stripes on the sleeves, and denim shorts with tennis shoes that look pretty ratty.

Normally the people that come in here are horrible. I mean, really bad. People thinking they can make it to Nashville in a bad country twang when they barely keep from shaking and wavering. But this girl, she looks and acts she's done this for years, or that she's born to do this. I was expecting some drunk girl who thinks she knows that she's doing. And I've heard some good music too. Yet none of this compares to the melody floating through the air.

"Far away, in a far off land lives a girl who loves to dream."

"She flies each night into a better place"

"But she lives with broken wings"

"For every song ends with broken heart"

"Every story ends alone"

"No matter where you are you may never know"

"Of the girl who loves to dream"

The melody is sad but filled with some kind of impossible hope. This is carried out with her stunning voice. It sounds like the soft song of a bird with a mix of clouds. It's sweet and soothing, yet high and free spirited. I sit down with the rest of the people entranced by this girl's amazing story.

I close my eyes and enjoy the song untill I hear it.

"To dream...."

"yet live with broken wings"

"Will she sing...."

"Or fall into the mist"

Wings and mist. Those are the two symbols of the Imperium. Wings represent a "brighter future" and mist represents the power of the past. I don't know if she's like me until we make eye contact. Then there's no mistaking it. She's an escapee.

I sit there dumbfounded. How could anyone with such an amazing talent have been locked away? With the Imperium. I mean, Scout and Ryker and I, I can understand. I'm way too vulnerable (I let two other escapees live with me) Ryker's obviously strong enough for it. And Scouts so overrun by seeing only herself. But this girl can't be, she just can't.

When the song ends the crowd claps and she bows before accepting money and exiting backstage. I push through the crowd to follow her. when I reach the door, I slip in and quickly close it behind me. And to my surprise. She's waiting there for me. I meet her sad baby blues. "Why are you back here?" She asks, almost afraid. I hold my hands up in mock surrender.

"Hey. I'm here to talk."

"Who are you?"

"Someone who understands." I explain. Her eyes widen before she looks down sadly. "How long?" I ask.

"Almost a year..." Her real voice is almost as soft as her singing voice but it's also strong.

"You?" She asks. I sigh.

"A lot longer than that." She frowns.

"Are you homeless too?" I look at her surprised. Surely she isn't homeless.

"No actually." Her reaction isn't the one I hoped. She turns away and begins packing her stuff.

"Guess we don't have as much in common as I thought." She sighs. My head starts spinning, trying to think of ways I can convince her I'm not mean.

"What do you mean?" I ask her. She stop packing and turns back to me.

"What I mean? I mean that we don't have anything in common except we escaped. I'm sure even we escaped differently. I've been living off gigs, and homeless shelters, and what little goddamn cash those people give me. I'm sure you're living a dream." She explains. I shake my head adamantly.

"What? Hell no. I live in a shitty apartment and work in a shitty bar." I retort. "Did you write that song?" I ask, unsure what to say.

"Yes."

Before I can think it slips out. "If you want you can come stay with me. Two others like us are staying with me for the time being as well so..." She quickly turns around with joy in her eyes.

"Really?" she asks, her voice laced with hope.

"Uh yeah sure, I guess." I say. She smiles a bright smile. It reminds me of... never mind.

"It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Cade Smith. I'm seventeen." She starts, shaking my hand. I laugh.

"Jason Pine, 22, At your service." I laugh.

"Thank you so much Jason. This money's all I really have soo..." She says trailing off. I smile kindly.

"No problem. I have plenty of stuff you can use. And though it'll be hard, I can make Scout share some stuff with you." I joke, but not really. Scout sucks at sharing. She doesn't like it. Which doesn't explain why she's loved Ryker for almost two months.

"She sounds scary..." Cade whispers. I laugh.

"You get used to it. Shall we go?" I ask.

"We shall!" She says excitedly. I know what you're thinking. This is really out of character for me. But it's not. I used to be like this. Before them. Well you see Cade reminds me of my little sister. She was captured too. And I saw what they did. I saw them kill her. They took away my music and love. They broke me. But I may be fixable. At least now I am. And it's not until I hear it that I know she's been through more than most.

"Not a test anymore." She mumbles. The Projects.