Chapter 59 - True Love Beats All

With their nimble fingers, each camera flashed after one another in an unsynchronised pattern to catch the face of a man whose colour slowly fell pale as if nothing but a creature of darkness penetrated through his skin to suck him dry. Jackal's smile deflated, the sheer terror upon his face as he looked back and forth to Ethan who instantly scrambled off towards the side of the stage only to be barricaded in by the press that fled after him.

Voice after voice erupted in the background competing to be heard.

-"Jackal!"

-"Is this true?"

-"Allegation are stating that you've been sleeping with an underage teenager girl."

The two men were pushed far against the back of the stage. Sweat crawled across Jackal's face as he urgently yelled down to the two guards that attempted to hold back the press. Ethan held his hands deep into his pockets as he looked away as if in shame. The press continued to roll question after question, fortunately too distracted to see Eleanor being directed off the stage heading on route to escape.

Gwen held her husband's arm far at the back, a trace of a smile as she watched the scene before them unfold into total chaos. Gently she patted her husband's arm encouraging them to move towards their car parked in the car park adjacent away from them, only until a figure stopped them from proceeding any further.

"Gwen, we had a deal!" The figure exasperated, throwing their hands into the air. Gwen raised her eyebrows, blantly nodding to her husband who continued towards the air leaving her to focus her attention back towards the intruder.

-"Your son humiliated my daughter on live television and who knows what they'll print tomorrow!"

Gwen patted the ends of her scarf back down to return gently resting her hands to the side as she calmly responded. "I'm afraid the wedding is off. I apologise for the inconvenience but if you excuse me, I have other matters to attend to."

Eleanor's Father shook his head, furiously pointing his finger directly at Gwen as he spat. "No, No. You don't get to do that. James will marry Eleanor."

Gwen sighed. "Scotty, give it up. If the man doesn't want to marry the girl, then let it be. As if my son was going to actually go through with it. If he had any sense, he'd know that his heart is destined elsewhere. I won't force my son and neither will you."

Scotty rubbed his chin across his face as he hastily turned around gesturing to his wife, failing his hands up and down before turning to meet Gwen. "And what am I supposed to do about the press, Huh? Or the wedding? My wife has worked her socks off to organise our side of the wedding." He argued.

Gwen only smiled in return, gently patting his collar down. "Have a nice day, Scotty." Then she walked off without hesitation approaching the end of the curb where her husband pulled up in their car. Behind she left Scotty who took no initial movement at first to curse under his breath before attending to his wife who stood barely a metre away cradling Eleanor who sobbed within her Mother's arms.

Eleanor bawled as she pulled away from her Mother, "He is supposed to marry me! Me! Me!" Sniffling she marched closer to her Father demanding as she did, "Daddy, why aren't you doing anything? Go get him! I'm supposed to be Mrs Brewer. Mrs Brewer, Daddy!"

Scotty took her into embrace as he consoled her, "I know Princess. Daddy will find you someone else. Someone better." Eleanor bawled once more in his arm, protesting thick that her words only became muffled. Scotty took his wife and daughter into a huddle trying his best to guide them towards the approaching car that pulled up.